Captain Flynn

Picture of Argo to your right

“And by the way”, Loki threw over his shoulder as an afterthought, “what’s your real name?” I dragged my eyes away from the fear-provoking ship and answered him confidently.

“My name’s Adeline.”

Loki scoffed. “Well that’s an unusual name,” he commented as I gazed back upon the intimidatingly large ship in awe. I nodded as he mumbled about the dangers of me being found out once we set sail.

I knew I should have been paying my upmost attention, but I couldn’t bear to tear my eyes away from the dark swaying ship. Its dark sails captured my undivided attention.

As Loki droned on about not wanting any part in my inevitable capture, I studied the sails of the large boat, and how it slightly swayed with the calm waves. My excitement doubled over at the mere thought of being aboard something so beautifu,l yet terrifying at the same time.

I turned to Loki, unable to resist any longer, “Can we go aboard?” Loki narrowed his eyes at me. I had undoubtedly interrupted him in the middle of chastising me for being a woman.

“Why not? I should perhaps give you a tour before the rest of those animals board the ship” his nose flaring up in disgust as he described the crew.

I couldn’t help the wave of fear that ran through me at the mention of the rest of the crew. What if they noticed I wasn’t a lad? That would be the end of my very short vocation as a pirate.

They’d probably throw me overboard for sullying their boat with my being a woman. I shuddered at the thought of their brutality towards traitors and deceivers.

I was so distracted by my own thoughts that I didn’t notice Loki had already walked off towards a small boat. I pulled up my breeches and hurried after him. I followed him into the small wooden boat and climbed in sitting directly in front of him.

He looked at me expectantly. “Yes?” I asked. He looked pointedly at the oars.

I gasped, “Surely you don’t expect me to row this thing?” I exclaimed. Loki rolled his eyes and pushed the oars in my direction.

“Darling, you’re a cabin boy, practically the slave of everyone aboard, the lowest of the low. It’s best you start getting used to it, so yes, I expect you to row this thing.” He retorted smugly. I scowled at him.

He didn’t have to refer to me as the lowest. But I resentfully picked up the sculls and began propelling us towards the large daunting ship.

As I rowed, my thoughts drifted to Castor. He’d always had a love for the sea; this should be him here embarking on a new adventure doing something he loved, instead of me doing it as a final alternative.

After about a good ten minutes, we arrived alongside the ship. Loki tied the small boat alongside the ship and began scaling the side of the ship on a makeshift ladder.

I sighed, my arms were still burning from all the rowing I was doing seconds before, how was I supposed to haul myself up. I took a deep breath and held onto the crude ladder. I pulled myself up the first few feet, my arms screaming in pain.

I couldn’t do this. Doubt was already clouding my vision for a new life away from this place. I was just about to drop myself back into the small boat when Loki turned and looked down at me.

“Don’t make me regret giving you a chance, Adeline. Haul yourself up here.” He said a bit harshly. I couldn’t let Loki down or myself for that matter.

He was the only person who had given me a chance. I started pulling myself up the ladder slowly but surely. After a wrenching two minutes, I swung my leg over the banister of the ship and stood on the immaculate deck.