Chapter 38

The next few days, everything was normal. Dalila was getting stronger. She was going to start training soon. But back in the woods, our friend Radagast was experiencing some queer things. He had a vision. He couldn't quite figure it out. The vision consisted of a dark evil. Orcs. He saw fire. He heard screams. One scream in particular made him shudder. Dalila. He had to warn them.

He hopped on his bunny sled and headed to the Durin household. He hoped he wasn't to late. The rabbits ran faster than ever before.

"Thorin! Fili! Kili! Dalila!" He yelled as he neared their door."
"What in Durin's name?" Thorin said going outside. Radagast halted his bunnies to a stop.
"I've seen it! The orcs! They're angry! We must hide her!" He exclaimed.
"Radagast what are you talking about?" Thorin asked. He was confused. This strange little creature just walked up to his house on a bunny sled.
"I had a vision. The orcs are coming for her. We have to hide her now!"
"Who?"
"Dalila! They're coming for Dalila."
"No." Fili said pushing Dalila behind him protectively.
"We'll send her some place safe. Thank you." Thorin told Radagast ignoring Fili.
"I fear they're watching now. It'd be safer if she left with me tomorrow at dawn." Radagast admitted.
"Then that's what we'll do. Dalila go pack your things. You're going to Mirkwood." Thorin commanded her.
"Why there?" Dalila questioned.
"Because the orcs will never guess that we'd send you to our enemy. I'll send word to King Thranduil. He'll house you for the summer in exchange for his white jewels." Thorin explained.
"There has to be another way Uncle." Fili pleaded.
"I'm just doing what's best for you and her. Do you want her killed or worse?"
"No." Fili sighed.
"Say your goodbyes tonight. I'll go tell Bofur the news." Thorin said leaving.

"Come in Radagast. Make yourself at home." Dís offered.
"Thank you madam." Radagast entered the home. Kili and Dís followed him. It was just Fili and Dalila outside.

Dalila hugged him.
"I don't want to leave you."
"I don't want you to go either. But it's for the best. By the end of summer we will have killed all the orcs and I'll come for you." Fili promised her.
"Okay. I'll be waiting."
"Take the stupid bird with you. We can communicate through her."
"I will. You better be nice to her or she won't do it."
"Fine. I'll give her a treat or something tonight." Fili rolled his eyes. Dalila laughed at him.
"Promise you won't get with another girl?"
"Wouldn't dream of it. Don't get with an elf."
"Never."

That night, Fili, Kili, Radagast, Dís, and Thorin came over to Dalila's home. They had dinner with her and her family. Dalila hardly ate.
"Better eat up Lassie. They don't have this good of food in Mirkwood." Bombur said.
"I know." She sighed. Fili stood up and went to her room. Everyone just sat there in silence. Dalila went after him.

"Fili?" She said quietly as she slowly walked in her room.
"I'm losing you again."
"No. I'm just going on vacation. You'll never lose me."
"But I will. Just when things were getting good, the Orcs have to ruin everything. And now you have to go stay with that stupid Mirkwood Prince." Fili spat at the end.
"Prince of Mirkwood? That's what you're worried about? I don't even know his name."
"You will soon enough." He groaned.
"Don't worry. I only have eyes for you."
"That's all I'm worried about. I know you'll be safe."
"I promise you, you have nothing to worry about."
"Okay. I trust you." He kissed her.

"Bye Dalila." Kili hugged her.
"Bye Kili. Take care of your brother for me."
"Always do.....wait a minute. What's that smell?" He asked her inhaling roughly.
"What does it smell like?"
"I-I don't know."
"Does it smell....like this." She pulled out a bottle of perfume. He smelled it.
"Yes! Fili this is smell I was telling you about! The smell that makes me think of my childhood!"
"I've always worn this. Even when I lived here when I was little." Dalila explained.
"So the smell wasn't reminding me of my childhood. It was reminding me when I was an infant and you were here." He pondered.
"I guess so." She smiled and hugged him one more time.

She hugged Dís, Thorin, Bifur and Bombur. Next she hugged Bofur.
"Be safe. Don't go anywhere alone." He advised her.
"Okay. Bye Bofur."
"Bye Dalila. I'll see you soon."

She turned to Fili. He was standing away from them. He was leaning against a tree. She walked to him.
"Are you okay?" She asked him.
"No. I'm not okay. I'm going to miss you like crazy."
"I'm going to miss you too. It'll be okay. I promise."
"Okay. I'll come for you."
"I'll be waiting." She hugged him. He embraced her tightly. He didn't want to let go but he had to.
"I love you Fili Arkin. Always and forever."
"I love you too. Always and forever."

Dalila loaded her things on Radagast's sled.
"Give this to the King. Don't read it and don't let her read it." Thorin commanded quietly to Radagast as he handed him a letter.
"Yes sir."

"Goodbye everyone." Dalila said.
"Goodbye!"

And off they went. The journey to Mirkwood was very unexpected and a very long and hard one. But it was the only chance Dalila had.

Will King Thranduil except Dalila? What does the letter say?