Towers, Take Two

The air of Violet City is warm on my skin, complemented by the sun shining over the slightly grim buildings like some grand deity. I find the edges of my mouth turned up slightly as I walk along, bag swinging and the rapidly swelling team chatting eagerly about nothing in particular by my side.

Reginae is still being aloof and Ten is attempting to talk to me, so it isn't much of a conversation, but it's still pleasant. Some part of me really missed the atmosphere of the team.

"Ashley!" Ten calls. "Tower's that way."
I set my sights on the next route, marked by dim lanterns that will only be illuminated at dusk. Right now, it's about midday. If I've estimated correctly, we should still have enough time to get a quick catch and sweep the tower before anyone gets too tired. I don't know how old most of my Pokemon are, but I'm guessing they're relatively young so I'm going to go for a conservative estimate.

"We're getting another Pokemon?" asks D'Spinas. "We have almost a full team. I don't believe this is necessary."

"Four. Tai is just tagging along until we get to the tower." I tell her.

Reginae rolls his eyes. "Alright. What are we going for?"
"I hear there are Mareeps on this route. They could be quite the asset." Clay notes. "If we're going to fight the gym, it could be useful."

"There are Rattatas too. I've heard of vicious uns." D'Spinas says, pointing her barb to the grass. "See that rustle? That's a brawl going down. I say we aim for that."

The grass stops rustling as if on cue. D'spinas pulls back. "Eh, perhaps not anymore. There might not be anything to catch."

"This is Ashley's call." Ten says. "So, Ashley... what are we going to do?"

"I usually just catch the first thing I see." I tell him, slightly nervous.

"That is... unbelievably stupid." Reginae says. The rest of the team silently echoes his disappointment. "I mean, come on! How are you going to catch anything like that?"

I sigh deeply and let it out, trying not to let any of them get under my skin. Not for the first time in my short stint as a trainer (well, my second crack at it, anyhow) I find myself missing my old team out of the sheer disrespect I receive from my new Pokemon. "It's funny." I say, "It's always worked-" I see something bolt upwards from the grass and throw the Pokeball hard as I can. Even though my muscles aren't as toned as they used to be, I remember the arc of the throw perfectly and the Pokeball speeds across the grass and hits the Pokemon head on, which falls into the grass. The Pokeball clicks immediately. "Before!"
I glare back at all of them. "Remember who the trainer is."

I feel revolting as I open the capsule to reveal a Hoppip, who grins at me with the smile of someone who has absolutely no clue how to read the mood. I curse silently, but try to keep my composure.

"A Hoppip? We already have two grass types!" exclaims Reginae. "One of which is yours truly! Come on, Ashley, you can't seriously be-"
I bend down on my knees so I'm closer to the Hoppip's level. "So what's your name?"
"I'm Sunny! Nice to meet you!" cooes the Hoppip. She bounces up into the air and floats there, a curved smile across her face. Her skin is soft to the touch and she smells strongly of wildflowers.

"Nice to meet you as well." I turn to the team. "We should get going."

Even Ten hangs back on our voyage to the Sprout Tower. It's more out of respect than anything else, but I can still taste the bitter tang of fear, even from him. I feel the loose golden bonds about me and sigh. What I really need now is a few good battles to take my mind off of it and draw us together.

What I really need... is them.

Dill's smile, Sky and Khrys's calm parental attitudes, Toxis's silent strength, Bronze, Bronze, everything about Bronze...