The Phantom Nuisance

It's the next morning. My Pokemon are sprawled out on Morty's couch and we're all enjoying some good tea (which Morty claims to have brewed himself). My own team sits next to not only Miki's beast form but also Morty's team, or at least the three Pokemon we'll be fighting today.

"So, is this your whole team?" I ask, suddenly curious.

Morty shakes his head. "No, actually. I mean, they're the three I use, but I have six Pokemon... these three; Miki, obviously; and then there's Banshee and Snickers."

"Snickers?" I ask.

"She's a Stantler. I got her, well, because of an old friend..."
"Your old Stantler. I know." I place my tea down. "You killed mine in the last timeline."

"Oh." he sips his tea uncomfortably and I silently regret having said anything. All I'm doing is coming between us and he has no reason to feel guilty over something he didn't do.

But he would, my brain hums, he would and he wouldn't even feel bad about it. He'd just keep slaughtering anything that comes into his gym because that's what gym leaders do.

Miki's gaze catches mine. Her feral golden eyes watch my every move. If she can't tell what I'm thinking through telepathy, she definitely can gauge my facial movements.

Could Miki use telepathy?

Frighteningly enough, I find that I can't remember.

"So," I ask, trying to avert the topic, "Who's Banshee?"

"Just a Misdreavus. They live around Mount Silver. There was one time I tried to go up again and she saved my life." Morty coughs. "So. Suicune."
I nod. We might be friends, or he might just be taking pity on me, but the only thing I know is for certain is that we're fighting for the same cause and right now we need to work as allies instead of friends or something... more. "Suicune was pretty cryptic in their responses, but they mentioned being disappointed. Then they went on about how legendaries can see through all the universes- obviously- and then they said that someone very dear to them was in trouble, and that they would continue to be until I found Ethan."

"What?!" Reginae yells. "Multiple universes? That's just a theory!"

My other Pokemon just look very confused. I take that as a sign that none of them have been questioning the existence of infinite parallel worlds recently.
"No, it's all real. If nothing else, your trainer is living proof of that." Morty says. "Look, we could go on about this all day, all week, all year if we really wanted to, but we don't have that type of time."

Time. Oh, the irony.

"Alright. If we don't have the time, then you need to tell us what we should be doin'. Are we going to keep pursuing the badges or not?" Luna stamps her foot. "Whatever it is, it better not involve sitting around discussing philosophy when there are plenty of villains to beat down out there. We got work to do. Right, Ashley?"

"Right." I say. "Look, Morty... do you have any idea what the legendaries meant when they said that 'someone dear to them' was in trouble?' What does that have to do with Ethan's disappearance?"

"It means the legendaries definitely have some kind of interest in him being found." Morty says.

"Wait." I say, holding a hand to my face. My brain is burning furiously with terrible possibility. Red's voice echoes in my mind. Why subvert the gods when you could become one? "Morty." I say. "Is it possible for a Goldeneye to become a Pokemon?"

Morty shakes his head. "Absolutely not. It would take immense amounts of energy, and if you really mean what I think you're implying..."

I bite my lip. "Regardless, it has to do with Lugia or Ho-oh. I'm sure of it. Now we just have to find out which one..."