Eye of the Storm

Not since the recovery of Dill himself have I been happier to hear the Nurse Joy jingle coming from the front desk. Minerva bounces off the couch before I can, Ten flaps right over my head, while Fang and Hycanith both spring up after Minerva and press themselves against the counter. When Fang's up on his back legs, swinging his tail like he plans to hurt someone with it, he's high enough to reach the Nurse himself, but she can't hear a single word coming out of his mouth.

"Ohboyohboyohboyohboy," Fang says, tongue lolling, "Where is he? Is he behind the counter? I can't see him. Is he okay? Is this someone else's Nurse Joy jingle?"

"Fang, calm down. This is us- we're the only people in the Pokemon Center right now." I tell him, pushing his snout off the counter. He falls back onto all fours with a clatter, big red eyes still attentive and tail still going at it. I apologize to the flustered Nurse Joy, "Sorry. My Pokemon tend to be a little excitable."

Nurse Joy grins all the way out to her perfect braids. "I prefer vivacious, don't you? Happy Pokemon are healthy Pokemon, and healthy Pokemon make the best battlers. Speaking of healthy Pokemon, we're happy to announce that Reginae's made a full recovery. As long as you keep that bandage on the side of his neck and go easy on him for the next week, he should be back in sparring shape in no time."

In my head, I'm already formulating strategies with which to take on the water route between us and Cinnibar without our Grass-type, but I reply, "Erm, thanks," and Nurse Joy beams again like I've told an irresistably charming joke. She slides me the Poke Ball, which I throw against the floor, and Reginae comes out looking frazzled.

He has a large bandage across his neck, secured by gauze, and the bottom of his head bears a nasty bruise as well, but his flower is also looking vibrant. "Ashley," he asks, "have you been taking care of my succulents?"

"Yes," I lie, wondering if Celebi can revive plants from the dead. I'm not saying that they are dead, since succulents can likely go for a while without water... or light... but if they are, I'm going to be dead.

Luckily, when a skeptical Reginae opens up the bag and Fang levitates the succulents out, they all look scuffed up but alive. Reginae casts me a rueful glare and then gets to watering them, with Fang to assist with juggling out the tiny plants.

"So," Minerva asks, "Now that that's over, can we get back to the plan?"

"I don't have one."

"Eh, what?"

"We had no idea when Reginae was going to recover, and I don't do long-term plans. The universe hates me and it hates elaborate plans even more, so I figured if I didn't make any, the universe couldn't screw me over." I say. Thirteen year old Ashley might have been embarrassing by all accounts, but that's one philosophy of hers I'll defend to my deathbed.

"Then can we go get cream?" asks Fang.

"Waste of time."

"Having fun and boosting morale isn't wasting time, Minerva. Plus, I'm hungry and I have a sweet tooth." Fang replies, licking his chops.

"Are we taking a breather?" Reginae asks, "Hear me out here... let's go to the museum."

"No." says Minerva.

"I read all about it from the Pokemon Center brochures." Reginae says, and with a winning, all-too-innocent smile, he adds, "They have ice cream."

Ten minutes and one very lopsided vote later, we're en route to the museum. The admissions desk lets my Pokemon through without so much as a second glance, which strikes me as odd.

Guess they don't have many incidents around here, I say.

No, most everything here is Pokemon-proof. Reginae replies, They tote that in the brochure too. The crime rate in Kanto is also astronomically low, at least since the defeat of Team Rocket.