Tunnels and Turmoil

When we get up the next morning, I already know what I have to do.

I mean that in two senses. I literally know what we have to do to progress from here, convoluted as it is (whoever programmed this thing must really like pointless roundabouts- I make a mental note to punch Red in the face for those later, even if they aren't his fault). However, I also know what I have to do to make a few things better with the team.

It's teambuilding time.

"Alright, who's ready to go do something fun today?" I ask my assembled Pokemon, who are sitting in the backyard looking extremely bored.

Reginae says nothing, but D'spinas raises her drill and asks, "Does it involve grinding?"

"What? No, of course it isn't grinding. Since when is grinding fun?"

D'spinas buzzes with indignance. "I enjoy grinding."

"I think you might be alone there." Luna smirks, then stares at me intently, ears twitching with anticipation. "So, what did you have in mind?"

"Well, would you guys be interested in going into the tunnels? I hear they have all sorts of shops down there and most if not all are Pokemon friendly."

"I honestly don't care." Reginae mutters, lying on the floor. It's an improvement from yesterday, if not by much.

"Alright, anyone else going to be more fun?"

"There are trainers down there. Grinding is still on." D'spinas buzzes.

"I could really use a bowtie. Possibly also a more professional stick." Ten says. "Not that I don't love you," he adds, looking towards the stick he currently has tucked over one wing.

Luna's ears twitch again. "Is that the place with massages? They only take you if you have a Trainer with you. Pokemon friendly my ass." She mutters, "Not like I'd know. Just heard rumors."

"Not in front of Rose!" Ten protests. "Watch your mouth."

Rose chirrups, completely oblivious. "Pokemon are friends!"

I smile. "That's right, Rose! All of you are my very best friends."

She perks up at this, holding her arms up so that I can pick her up. Although she doesn't talk much, I feel the need to protect her. Shell would have gotten along well with her.

"Alright," I say, bringing out the Pokeball that for so long has remained dormant in my back pocket, "Should we bring Clay out too? I don't know if he-" I tuck it away, imagining a Geodude sitting in the corner of a shop or worse, splayed out on the ground after an attack. "Never mind."

"You have to warm him up to the team eventually, Ashley." Ten cooes. "It's the only way things are ever going to get better."

"I know," I tell him, "-but it's going to be a long time before I'm ready to take that step. For now, all we can do is send him out in a few battles and hope for the best. Anyways, we should probably... get going."

I step carefully down the stairs, Rose still managing to jiggle up and down as I carry her down up the stairs. Getting her anywhere without accidentally cracking her open has become a mildly terrifying rite of passage, but if I don't worry about it too much and just relax it's usually fine.

"Ashley!" calls Ethan's grandmother. "You aren't going to leave on us, are you? We made breakfast."

I put on the fake smile I've become so accustomed to. This morning, it's a little easier than usual to appear excited even when the air screams Ethan Ethan Ethan and every single family picture reminds me that I, indirectly, am responsible for the disappearance of their grandson.