All Four One: Round One

I wake up two mornings later clutching the bedsheets.

The weight of the universe hits me like a brick, and though the team appears, for the most part, to be sleeping, a quiet "Guys?" lets me know that not one of them is dormant.They turn at once, as if I'd dropped an entire tray of silverware onto the ground instead of just murmured something, and I can see the anxiety in all of their eyes.

I feel selfish for worrying so much. They're the ones risking their lives today.

"You know that's not true," replies Fang. "We're all in this."

I shake my head, hoping with all my heart not  to start crying this early in the morning. Victory or tragedy, there will be plenty of time for that instead. I slip on a green jacket and jeans, just as I did that first morning, and run my fingers over Ethan's Poke Ball, like a promise. This one goes out to you, bud.

I look at the ceiling, thinking that this might be the last time I sleep in this bed. I can't help but wonder if this is the same adrenaline other Pokemon Trainers feel when they go off to fight the Elite Four themselves. Though my stakes are higher, I know that a lost team, no matter what the ensuing consequences are, is devastating on anyone. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

This goes out to all of us. For all the trainers who've left these halls with their ambitions dashed... for all of the versions of me and those I care about reflected across myriad timelines in an infinite sea of strange universes, and or those we've lost along the way. For anyone who cares enough to witness me, do so. Take a look at the new champion of Johto.

For all of us with hearts of gold.

"Amen to that."

I release Pisces once we're on the main floor, and we eat a quick breakfast, though none of us have much of an appetite at this point. I shovel some extra berries and food into my bag, in case we really are there all day. It's solemn, but not out of malice. We're just bracing for the hardest day of our lives. What else is there to say?

I find out when we walk into the main hall and Reginae asks, "Couldn't we tell them? If the world's going to end, it's not like they're just going to stand in our way."

"Red," I say, "Red's not going to let us go that easy. If we cheat, as far as he's concerned, the game's probably over."

Ten tilts his head. "Aren't we already cheating? We've got Morty for back up and the grace of several gods on our side."

I shrug. "The only real rules, far as I can tell, are that we need to beat the gyms and similar challenges- all of them- on our own merits. Having a mentor of some kind is hardly cause for disqualification, and trading," I say, thinking of my team's potential return from wherever they must be, "Is hardly any worse. The biggest thing I can think of is the legendary interference and judging by what he said to me a few days ago..."

"During the Celebi encounter? Red was there?" asks Pisces, showing genuine interest for once in her life.

"I- I definitely mentioned it at least once, didn't I?" I say, trying to stir through the murky soup of my memory over the last few days.

"What did he want from you?" demands Reginae.

Embarrassed, I admit, "He wanted me to let Ethan out of his Pokeball."

"You wouldn't."

I start, "Two nights ago, when you all were asleep..."

"You did."

"It was just for a few minutes." I reply, eager to defend myself. "I know, I know, but Reginae, if someone bought Rose back, no matter what she was like, you would want to save her too, wouldn't you?"