Firing It Up

The tea's still there in the morning, and the fragrance of the petals fills the air with a sweet, welcoming scent. I drink it in as I pour myself a glass. It might not be steaming but it retains enough warmth that my insides tingle after a few sips. In retrospect, it might be how good this tea is that makes me feel so comfortable, but whatever the reason, I find myself smiling from ear to ear upon finishing my cup.

The house is cute as the Pewter City cafes, with everything organized neatly and various cooking supplies scattered around. That and the half-finished paintings in the den give the place the feeling of being lived in. As I walk around, waiting for Daisy to get up, I notice a few coordinator team pictures, which feature Daisy Oak herself in full get-out at the center. Her brother's certificates and trophies for his League victory are set on the highest shelf in the living room.

"Good morning," Daisy says. "I see you've helped yourself to some tea already. Would you be interested in some waffles and fresh fruit to accompany it? I haven't kicked out the old waffle press in months."

"If it's no trouble," I say, "Thank you-"

"I won't hear another word of that. It's my pleasure, I insist." she says. "Now, where are you from?"

"New Bark."

She nods as she gets out the waffle press and several bowls. Before I know it, she's got all her ingredients out and is mixing like a professional chef. "You wouldn't happen to be Elm's new step-daughter, would you?" she asks over the clatter. "The one who missed the wedding?"

"I was-" I start, though a flushed heat is beginning to rise into my cheeks. I don't have a good excuse that won't make me sound insane and to be honest, I don't want to be kicked out of the house before I get a chance to sample those waffles. She has syrup, whipped cream, and everything.

"On a journey. Don't sweat it, who knows what my brother missed while he was out on his adventure. Let's not even get started on his friend from across the street. You've heard of Red, right? Former champion? Missing a few years?"

Have I ever heard of him. "I guess so," I say.

Daisy pours the newly formed mix into the press.

"Have you talked to Elm lately?"

"No." That would be difficult. For a variety of reasons.

"Ah, I feel you. Regional divide, right? I want to talk to Grandad, since he's out in Alola doing field work with his cousin, but it appears cross-region communications are experiencing some weird interference. Most civilian calls can't get through."

"Oh. Y-yeah." I say.

Daisy heaps a large serving of waffle onto my plate and I top it off and sink my teeth in. It's divine. Each bite is light as a cloud and seeping with sweetness from the syrup. I resist the urge to thank Daisy again.

"You'll be going for the Viridian gym soon?" she asks.

"Within the next few weeks," I estimate.

"Tell my brother I said 'hi' and that he needs to visit more. We live half an hour away on foot, he's just a lazy ass." She smiles, "Don't tell him that part. I don't want him to beat you up too badly."

***

My team is upset with how long it takes us to get going, and even more upset when they learn I'll be taking Ethan across the waters alone, but I promise them it'll be a long time before they have to endure this kind of Poke Ball time again.

I'm upset when I actually get on Ethan's back and we get going. The second we get out past the shoreline, I'm hit by a spray of brackish water. Clinging onto Ethan's spines provides little comfort, and my mind replays every water-related incident I've dealt with in the past two journeys. Ethan, who hasn't said a word, shudders beneath me. I can sense the urge to dive floating near the back of his mind, as if the water is trying to drag him under with every wake that crashes against his side. We remember the flood of adrenaline and now I'm restraining both of us from taking the plunge.