Torrent

Knowing we have two weeks left is far from reassuring when the void that's cutting the sky open grows larger every day. Sure, we could wait until the last moment and go bounding up the mountain to play Save The World: Speedrun Mode with Red, but risk-taking in the past has usually ended with me watching those I care about die.

I will miss this place on the days we've set aside to trek up the mountain, though. Once we got the generator up and running and did a little maintenance, the cottage in the woods went from decrepit and nasty to charming. We've even planted local flowers in the pots that were scattered around the basement. Reginae is reluctant to put his succulents anywhere that won't be a permanent residence, but some of my Pokemon are talking about that, too. If we finish this, where would we go? I might not be an adult yet, but I'm not a kid anymore, and the idea of moving back in with my mom (and Elm) is... awful.

To kick off the beginning of the worst week of my life (or the best, depending on how this goes), Suicune appears in front of the door one morning. They bare their usual, bored expression, with a side of haughtier-than-thou to go with all that smug. A recoiling, wet Ethan in the background tells me that Suicune was keen to give a the Lugia a spray in the face on their way in, just for kicks.

I wish Suicune would give the "abomination against nature" narrative a rest, but we don't have the typical trainer-Pokemon relationship going on. We trust each other about as much as two starving Mandibuzz in the desert.

Good morning. I've returned from council with the other legendaries once more, and it has been decided that the most fortuitous path would be for me to accompany you up the mountain. Even through telepathy, I can hear the distasteful resentment in their tone. They sound like they've just been told they'll be eating dirt for the next two weeks.

"Great. Where are these legendaries, anyways?"

My comrades are working to fix the rift in space-time you let Red open, Suicune says.

"Great," I repeat.

Furthermore, not all the legendaries are in agreement when it comes to you. Out of necessity, we all support you, but they fear trainers. Anyone who does not bow to their commands at once is a threat. Keep in mind that we can be caught in a petty Poke Ball if weakened. Do you think we would willingly appear to mortals, given that?

"Look, you don't need to tell me that you guys have bad management and that you throw your problems off on other people. I lived it. I know." I say. "Come on guys, we need to get going. Grab all the remaining bags, so they don't get raided while we're out, and let's go."

Suicune watches as the team files out. Crimson and Ethan, who are already outside, cast distrustful looks towards the great legendary Pokemon. My other Pokemon, however, are far more flippant.

"Pie?" asks Shika.

I am the North Wind, Suicune informs her, Mortal pleasure is beneath me.

"So, if you don't derive pleasure from being a stick in the mud, why do you do it?" asks Ferro, which prompts a swift turn and the angriest frown yet from Suicune.

"Right," I say, "Please stop provoking our only link to the Legendary council. If anything goes wrong, they're going to be our lifeline."

Suicune says nothing, but I sense approval.

The last few late sleepers finally pile out of the cottage hoisting bags, and the old place looks tired and grim without them. The windows shine with soft light from every time we've cleaned them, but the paint is sketchy as ever and the old patio whines as the last Pokemon (Millie) steps over it.