Test of the Kitsune

Beep, beep, beep-

My hand slams down on the cabin alarm clock's snooze button with a groan. I roll to the other side of the bed, praying for a few more precious minutes of sleep, but then my Pokegear starts vibrating like crazy. It moves slowly towards the edge of my desk and then falls off, landing on Fang's head with a clink and a frightened yelp.

"Don't take me! I promise I'm not gonna-" Fang jumps to his paws, then blinks, wincing slightly. "Ouch."

Ten and Reginae both get up almost immediately. "Bloody hell, Fang, we thought something actually happened to you! Now, can someone tell me why-" Ten lets out a small owlish yawn, ruffling up his feathers and clearing his throat, "Why that infernal thing was vibrating again?"

"I don't know! I keep notifications off for a reason." I snap, picking up the Pokegear off the floor. Fang growls at it. Flipping it open, I continue, "I don't really want to deal with other people right now. Pokemon, sure! Whatever! But people? Can I just never talk to a person again? That would be great."

"Right... so what is it?" Reginae asks, stumbling over Fang's tail. Fang yelps again but his frustrated glance eventually gives way to an eyeroll worthy of Rose. Pressing his head against my lap, he asks, "Hello up there?"

I glare over the text messages, not liking what I see.

Ashley!
Ashley did you beat the gym?!

Twenty three days, Ashley...

So... it's been a while and you haven't responded?

Are you okay?
GET YOUR STINKING HUMAN FLESH SUIT HERE RIGHT NOW CELEBI WE HAVE A WORLD TO SAVE AND SO HELP ME I WILL RUN OVER TO BLACKTHORN MYSELF IN KITSUNE FORM AND YOU WILL NOT LIKE WHAT YOU SEE

That was Miki. Not me. I'm not saying she's right but she's right

Ashley?
Okay, I'm tagging this as urgent. Your Pokegear says you're away but online so maybe you're just ignoring me.

Are you getting these?
Good morning.

Hello.

Hi.

I reply, I'm here! Arceus, Mew, and Ho-oh, what do you want from me?!

Why did you never text me back? I've been trying to contact you for days! Lance says Clair told him you got the badge. I'm impressed, usually Clair throws a temper tantrum and challengers have to get the badge from the Dragon's Den.

My Pokemon are good negotiators. Um. I hesitate. Rose died and I blacked out. I've been resting for a few days but I guess there's no use in that now, is there?

Not to be rude but the world is ending. Morty replies. Can you get to Ecruteak by tonight? We're going to have to do this quickly.

I try not to say anything but just thinking of the coming task is enough to set me off again. morty i don't want to do this. I look over the note and then backspace slowly. I shake my head and think of two nights ago, of Reginae and I, of everything Rose stood for. I'll be there. In fact, you can expect me early. ;)

Love you, I type, then backspace.

Missed you! It will be nice to see you again- Backspace.

See you soon. Sent.

Sorry for your loss. See you soon. Lots to discuss then. Safer when we're not alone. He sends each sentence one at a time, with barely seconds between.