Ikadalawampu't Pitong Kabanata

Alyssa Montelibano

"Palangga taka Alyssa. Mahal na mahal kita. Please say that you love me too."

To say if I was in shocked, in surprised or in awed by his confession couldn't really described what I felt that moment. It was like all of the happy dust had spill above me and made me float in cloud nine due to excessed happiness. Although yes, sinabi na ni Alex sa akin at ni Sophie na may nararamdama siya sa akin ay iba pa din ang feeling na sa kanya talaga nang galing ang mga salita na yon. And my heart just can't help but to rejoice by his confessiom that I was about to say, "yes, I love you too" when my logical side step in.

"What about Jennifer?" Tanong ko sa kanya.

Napakunot siya ng noo. "What about her?"

'She's your freaking girlfriend Patrick." I said sternly at him. "Nakalimutan mo na ba agad na may girlfriend ka?"

"I broke up with her just now. Diba sinabi ko yon kanina sa baba." Ai, oo nga pala, ano ba yan. "And she wasn't really my girlfriend anyway." He simply added.

Napataas ako ng kilay. "What do you mean wasn't really your girlfriend?"

"Wellm she wasn't really my girlfriend." He answered as he gave my hands a gentle squeeze. "Pwede bang sagotin mo na lang ang tanong ko at kalimutan na lang si Jennifer?"

I could just simply say yes to this but I was tormented with the thought of him having a girlfriend before and now he is saying that it was all pretend, I couldn't just brushed it off. Man, I was curious.

"Hindi pwede." Pailing na sabi ko. "Tell ma about Jennifer first and this pretend girlfriend that you had put up." I demanded.

He sighed in defeat. "Okay, ano ba ang gusto mong malaman?"

"Everything. Why have a pretend girlfriend on the first place and for what reason?"

"Well, I think it started when you got back here. The first time I saw you again after almost three years. Na torpe ulit ako ng makita kita, parang katulad noon. At natakot, natakot na baka hindi mon a ako magugustohan. You...you changed. You became this matured girl that could surely stand on her own at hindi ko alam kung kailangan mo pa baa ng isang lalaki na katulad ko. And to make all things worst, I made this sudden stupid decision of pretend girlfriend as my family was pushing me and expecting me to make a move on you. So to stop my family from nagging me about you and also to prove to them that I was getting over you even though I wasn't, I asked Jennifer to be my pretend girlfriend. And I never thought that things will end up like this." Kwento niya.

"Teka, sino ba si Jennifer sa buhay mo at napapayag mo siya? And she wasn"t acting like a pretend girlfriend at Alex's twin's wedding to me." Tanong ko pa na para bang demanding na girlfriend. I just want to settle tthings in my head as this is all confusing to me.

"I don't know if this is my story to tell pero sige na nga." He said reluctantly. "Jennifer is my batchmate in highschool and she is Axel's ex girlfriend. Nagkataon lang na nagkita kami sa SM Hypermart kung saan siya nagtatrabaho and we catch up with our lives and I somehow told her about Axel's engagement and soon to be marriage. Naging malungkot siya sahil Axel is kind of her "the one that got away." And after a week ata ay nagkita ulit kami at sinabi niya na inimbita raw siya ni Axel sa kasal. So para hindi naman siya maging mukhang kawawa, I asked her to be my pretend girlfriend. It was like killing two birds with one stone."

"Ang naging problema nga lang ay nag expect siya sa kasal na papansinin siya ni Axel which didn't happened because Axel's eyes were all over Charm. At hindi ko naman masisisi si Axel dahil kasal naman niya yon and that could ruined the wedding vibe you know. Kaya naging bad mood si Jennifer noon at ikaw pa yong napagdiskartehan, Anyway, after that wedding ay hindi na kami nagkausap pa, nagulat na nga lang ako ng bigla siyang nagpakita kanina. But I ended the relationship with her already even though it was all pretend." Napabuntong hininga siya. "So, that's all there is."