Chapter 2- Darkest Flames

Chapter 2

Kayleigh finished the dance, breathing heavily. She gulped a little bit, to catch hold of her breath. “I can’t do this,” she panted, “This is Brit’s forte,”

“I know,” said Dawn, “But all pop singers are now expected to have some movement on stage,”

Pop singers,” reiterated Kayleigh, her voice lingering over the word pop, “Pop singers do. Not rock singers, they let the music be powerful enough to speak for its self,”

“Kayleigh,” Dawn said sternly, “Look what happened when you attempted to be a rock singer. Its just not happening. EVER. Leave the rock to people like that Pink and your Amy Lee, and god knows what other bands. The only way for you to be famous is mainstream music.”

“Actually,” pointed out Kayleigh, “Pink is mainstream,”

“A weird type of mainstream,” insisted Dawn.

Actually,” the dance instructor interrupted after finishing his glass of water, “If we don’t perfect this dance, you’ll be looking a fool onstage the day after tomorrow, Kayleigh. What songs are you doing again?”

“Um…” Kayleigh thought for a second, “Beautiful by Christy. My Immortal by Evanescence. Love is my neighbour by me. Black as Snow by me. I Love Rock ‘n Roll by BritBrit. Sober by Pink.”

“My case in point,” said the dance instructor, Andy. “Each one has a different dance for you to do, Kayleigh.”

“What?” Kayleigh looked from Andy to Dawn wildly, “Not Black as Snow as well? The one I wrote? The only pure rock song?”

“Well, yes,” said Dawn casually, sipping tea from her nearby mug.

“What?! Show me!” she commanded, turning to Andy, who shrugged and showed her the dance.

“No, this can’t be happening,” said Kayleigh, putting her palm to her face in dismay.

“Just do it,” Dawn said.

“No!” Kayleigh looked up, “It totally butchers the song. Black as Snow is about the dark side to being happy. How there is always an underlying fear. Its not your place to destroy that important message with butt-shaking, Dawn.”

“Kayleigh, its important for your image,” Dawn said in annoyance.

“Image, schmge,” said Kayleigh obstinately, “I’m not shaking my butt to Black as Snow,”

“You’ve got to,” Dawn said simply.

“Not happening.” Kayleigh said with an air of finality, and Dawn shook her head at Kayleigh’s stubbornness.