Chapter 11- "Sing for me,"

Chapter 11

“So, kids. You’re going to sing for me, my boyfriend Daniel and my manager Dawn. Today you’re singing any song of mine, from any album.” Kayleigh allowed herself a small smile as she thought of the victory with Dawn that had allowed her to let the kids sing from her earliest albums.

She took a quick glance, her eyes scanning the children. The eldest was about thirteen, the youngest little Emmy at seven or eight.

“Ok, kids, you can leave.” Emmy’s eye caught Kayleigh’s, and a crackle of electricity passed between their glances.

“Do you think Emmy looks…” Daniel began, squinting at the little girl’s retreating back, “Different?”

“Different, how?” Kayleigh asked distractedly, reading through her notes, and calling out, “Fiona Quinn, please.”

A thirteen year old girl strutted in. Stage school brat, Kayleigh’s mind told her immediately. She was tall, well-built with long straight black hair and icy-blue eyes like a Hollywood femme fatale.

“Go ahead and give your music to my…um..” Kayleigh glanced at Daniel, who mouthed boyfriend, “My boyfriend, Daniel. That ok?”

Fiona nodded, handing Daniel her CD with a flutter of her eyelashes.

Kayleigh watched as Fiona began to sing Kayleigh’s latest single. Her voice was good; but not beautiful. Deep, rich but with a coarser edge that outstayed its welcome on some notes.

“Too much crust, not enough honey,” Kayleigh mouthed to Daniel, who nodded assent.

‘Burnt toast and honey’ was the phrase first used to describe Kayleigh’s first album.

“Thanks, sweetheart,” Kayleigh smiled as Fiona finished, “We’ll get back to you!”

“Thanks, Kayleigh.” Fiona put her hand down on her hip, her smile dazzling, flashing expensive teeth surgeries before walking off.

Kayleigh glanced at Daniel’s amused expression, “What?”

“Nothing. Just hash tag face palm.”

Kayleigh rolled her eyes, obediently face palming. She grimaced as the next kid walked in.

“Here we go…”

Ten auditions later, Daniel was calling the names, as Kayleigh had long since given up. Kayleigh had slid down further in her chair, her hands on her face.

“Emmeline Harless.”

Emmy walked in hesitantly. She counted the tiles on the ground as she walked, her hair hiding her face from view. When she began to sing, it wasn’t a song from the new album, or the second-to-newest.

She sang Black as Snow.

“You swore love,

Under Midnight skies,

Passionate, convincing,

Before ‘dem morning goodbyes.

You left me,

Betrayed me,

Enslaved me.

Love is a spectrum,

A spectrum, baby,

There ain’t no black ‘an white.

White as snow?

Black as night?

Hell no, baby, that’s not how I roll.

It will never be white as night,