Chapter 14- "She collapsed"

Chapter 14

Kayleigh lay on her bed, her diary open on her lap. Justin’s song, My Love, trickled lazily out of the only earphone that worked- the left one- as Kayleigh’s black fountain pen bobbed up and down as she wrote, her script tall, sloped and black. She smiled as she wrote, at the confession of his that he'd written the song with her in mind when she'd started becoming famous.

Diary,

With the show only six days away, I’ve been having to spend even more time with Emmy than ever. Every time I see her, I get shocked by how painful it is each time.

Looking at her immediately brings Finn's death to mind, and that’s something I can do without right now. Emmy is a dream, though. With every practice she gets better.

 Yesterday, Dawn took her to the recording studio to record a song, just for fun because she works so hard. I think she’s picked up on the fact that life at home is hard for Emmy.

 However, during the nine hour flight, and the three day long stay in England, I just know I’m going to find it difficult to avoid telling Emmy everything. But I can’t, because if I do Dawn will murder me alive. Literally.

Because if I leave Daniel for Justin, which is what I want to do, Dawn has told me unreservedly what would happen, in a structured and definite sequence of disastrous events.

1)   Daniel would tell all my secrets to the paps.

2)   Justin’s manager would force him to drop me, because I’m ‘bad’ for his career.

3)   She would leave me, my record deal would be revoked.

4)   I’d be back where I started, a washed up failure.

 And ther'e's a unspoken number five consequence, as well. I'd probably never see Emmy again.

Why can’t I risk that, even for Justin and Emmy? Because it feels so special. Knowing I have actual fans, minimal as they may be, that my concert tickets sell well into the thousands, that some girls actually have my posters on their walls. It’s so precarious, though. I’m not quite a ‘superstar’ though. If I make a wrong turn at any moment, it could all crash back to reality. And I don’t know what I would do if that ever happened.

Kayleigh xx

Kayleigh shut her diary with a heavy sigh. Her mind was wandering to the day before, at the costume fittings.

The boys had been wearing white short sleeved shirts, black trousers and grey ties. All the girls were wearing sparkly black mid-thigh dance dresses, black net headdresses and sheer black tights with black jazz shoes, miniature versions of Kayleigh’s black and silver minidress.

The children had come out the dressing room one by one to be observed by Kayleigh. As they walked around the room in their costumes, they universally wore puppy dog eyes and anxious to please expressions.

As Emmy had walked out the dressing room, Kayleigh’s heart had melted. The little girl’s dress sagged down to her knees, the bodice hanging off her slim frame. The bright, contented grin she had shined at Kayleigh made Kayleigh feel like the most wretched person on earth.

“Do I look alright?” Emmy had  piped up, striking a ridiculous pose, her hand on her hip, pouting her lips. Even Dawn had smiled at her antics.

“You look gorgeous, honey,” Kayleigh had said warmly, though her mind was screaming. Look how happy she looks without you. She doesn’t need you, Kayleigh. Who needs a useless rock singer for a mother?