Chapter 10- Kayleigh's Daughter

Chapter Ten

“Sit up straight, Daniel,” scolded Kayleigh, her face screwed up.

Daniel snorted, flicking his fringe back. “Remind me why we have to do this,” he grumbled, turning to Dawn, who was making distracted texts on her iPhone manically.

“It will be good for your image to be seen together after last week’s incident,” Dawn replied pointedly, glancing up from her phone, “I don’t know what you were thinking, Kayleigh.”

“Well all know Harrans has trouble controlling herself,” Daniel jibed, glaring at Kayleigh.

Kayleigh flushed, “Shuddup, Daniel,” she blustered, “Now, you gonna help me see the kids or not?”

“Sure,” Daniel leaned back in his chair, rocking on two legs.

“Send the first group in.” Dawn called, and Kayleigh raised her eyebrows as the first group of children scuttled in. There were the stage-school kids, all jazzy smiles with eyes and teeth, there were the past-it wannabe thirteen year olds, a couple of obvious first time auditionees, and if she was lucky, there would be those. Those shy, uncertain kids. The ones who could hold a room in the palm of their hand, spellbound, with one glance or verse.

They were the ones with the X Factor. But they just didn’t know it.

Several groups of kids later, Kayleigh was starving. Delving her hand into the bowl of peppermints in the middle of the judging table, Kayleigh sneaked a glance at Daniel. His eyes were intense, focusing on the kids singing their way through the set piece. She watched how his eyes were glued to one girl in the middle of the room.

Her face was radiant, her face alert as she stared at Kayleigh, her idol. Her shiny, wavy blonde bob cut and sapphire blue eyes were enough to take anyone’s breath away. Even Dawn wasn’t too aware of the all-too-easy notes the girl was missing.

But though her face was shining, Emmy’s eyes were sad as they made contact with Kayleigh’s.

“Woah, who’s she?” Kayleigh whispered, turning to Dawn on her right.

Dawn scanned the sheet in front of her. “Emmeline Harless. People call her Emmy, apparently.”

“She’s beautiful,” whispered Kayleigh.

“I know,” Dawn replied, but then her eyes narrowed in a businesswoman’s appraisal. “She’s wasting her time singing. Her voice is no miracle. That girl should be a model.”

“No shit,” Kayleigh breathed. Emmy grinned as she saw Kayleigh’s eyes upon her, singing louder, upstaging the kids singing perfectly around her.

As the pianist drew the song to a close, Kayleigh looked up, working her way through the list of names on her sheet mentally. “Thanks kids. If you can all go back to your mommies and daddies now, we’ll be sure to let you know if you’re chosen. Call backs will be contacted by the end of the week,” Kayleigh promised.