Chapter 5

Chapter 5~ Louis' POV

I entered the kitchen to see that my mum was no where to be found. She couldn't have gone into another room without me seeing her. I glanced out the back door window and saw her. She was sitting on the steps of the porch with her head in her hands. I could only see one side of her face. She looked like she was about to cry. Her mouth was wide open as if she was in shock.

"Mum?" I said as I opened the door and sat next to her. She looked up at me and managed a half smile. "Mum, what's wrong? You look on the verge of tears."

"Nothing, dear. I'm fine. I just came out for some air. Go back inside and finish your dinner," she said.

"Mum, I know something's wrong. You can tell me," I encouraged her. She put her head back in her hands and stared down at her feet. The tears started to slowly roll down her cheeks. She let out a deep sigh before turning towards me.

"You have to promise me that you won't tell anyone and you won't get angry." I nodded and took her hand in mine.

"What is it, mum?" She sighed again.

"I've met Ellie before," she said with tears in her eyes.

"I don't understand. How have you met her but I never have?"

"Because you didn't know about her, dear. No one did. I made sure of it. I never thought I would see her again, but there she is. Sitting next to Harry in the dining room eating dinner." She was really starting to confuse me now.

"Mum, I don't know what you're talking about. How do you know her but no one else does? And what do you mean you made sure we would never find out about her?"

She sighed again before she spoke. "I'm her mother, Louis. And you're her brother." I was in complete shock by my mum's response. There was no way Ellie was my sister. I would have remembered her.

"W-what are you t-talking about? She can't be my sister. I would have remembered her," I stuttered.

She shook her head. "Louis, you were four years old. You wouldn't have remembered even if you wanted to. You never meet her. I made sure you never found out about her."

"Why?" I asked. I could feel the anger and frustration boiling inside of me.

"Because she was a mistake. I was upset when your father and I divorced. I went to a bar and got drunk, Louis. You were at your grandparents' house. I was stupid and I shouldn't have been drinking that night. I took a test just to be safe and it came back positive," she explained.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. She kept Ellie a secret from everyone this entire time. I let go of her hand. I put my head on my knees and hands on my head. I had another sister that I didn't even know about. My mum rubbed my back as she continued to speak.

"I couldn't let anyone find out. Everyone thought I relied on your father for everything. I wanted to prove them wrong. Everyone would have disowned me if they ever found out. They would think differently of me. I had to keep her a secret. When I went into labor, Mark was at work. I told him I was going to the hospital to visit a friend. I stayed in the hospital for two days after Ellie's birth. I knew I couldn't keep her without raising suspicion."

Tears started to form in my eyes. Ellie was my sister, and there was no way to deny it. I was happy to know that she was my sister and I could protect her. But I wish I would've known sooner so I could've found her.

"Louis, I didn't want to give her up. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but I had to do it. I bought a baby basket and a few pink blankets. I left her in the clothes the hospital gave her. When I was released from the hospital with Ellie, the first thing I did was take her to that orphanage. I wore dark clothes and a hat that hid my face from the cameras. Before I left her, I kissed her forehead and spoke to her. 'Ellie, I promise you, a great family will adopt you. I wish I could keep you, but I can't. I know one day you'll understand why I'm doing this. I promise one day we will meet again. I love you, sweetheart.' I left her by the front door and ran home. Everyone was asleep when I got there. I cried myself to sleep that night, Louis. And not a day goes by where I wish I didn't give her up. Not a day goes by where I don't think about that crying baby I left on that doorstep. Not a day goes by where I don't regret what I did."

She was crying by the time she was done. She buried her face in my back and let the tears fall. I didn't realize it but I was crying too. I pulled my mum into a comforting hug and buried my face in her hair,

"Shhh...," I whispered to her. Her sobs became less violent and eventually she stopped crying. She looked up at me with fear in her eyes.

"I knew I would meet her again. I just didn't think it would be so soon. When she told me she was adopted, it felt as if a giant weight was lifted off my shoulders."

I pulled away from my mum's hair. I shook my head frantically. "I have to tell her," I said as I got up. My mum caught my arm before I could reach the door.

"You can't, Louis. She wouldn't believe you. I'll tell her, but not now."

"When?" I asked.

She sighed. "Next week?"

"But she's only with me for the weekend, mum."

"Ask her to stay longer. I'm sure she would if you offered."

"She has a life, mum. She probably won't want to stay with me that long."

"You never know unless you try."

She let go of my arm, and I opened the door. I let her go in before me. We looked in the mirror next to the refrigerator to make sure it wasn't noticeable that we were crying. After grabbing another pitcher of iced tea, my mum followed me into the dining room. I took my seat next to Ellie, and she smiled at me.

"Everything alright?" asked Liam. My mum nodded in response and that was the end of that.

"Dinner is great, Jay," said Harry as he dumped a spoonful of sweet corn into his mouth. I noticed Niall had already gotten seconds.

"Thank you, dear. How about you, Ellie? What do you think?" asked my mum.

Ellie nodded as she swallowed the bite of food in her mouth. "It's great! My mum used to cook like this. I've missed it a lot," she said with a smile.

"Hey, Ellie. I was wondering. Three days doesn't seem like enough time to do everything I've planned. Would you like to stay with me until next Monday?" I asked.

"Uh...yeah. I would love that, but I would have to check with my aunt first."

The boys cheered and clapped their hands like three year olds. Harry kissed Ellie on the cheek, and I could see the blush on her face appear. I felt very protective over her right now. I've never felt this way before. It took everything I had not to yell at Harry right then and there.

"And, of course, we'll have to come back and visit you," Ellie said as she looked towards my mum. She smiled and nodded.

"I would love to have you over for dinner again sometime next week," she replied. I could see a look of hope in her eyes as she smiled at Ellie.

Ellie turned and smiled at me. I returned the favor by pulling her in for a hug. I was hugging my baby sister who I didn't know until a few short hours ago. I've missed seventeen years of her life. I wasn't planning on missing any more.