Chapter 11

Chapter 11

I woke up and found Louis asleep on the couch. He was still dressed in his clothes from yesterday. His mouth was slightly open, and he was quietly snoring. He was laying across the couch in a very awkward position. His right leg was off the couch and the other was laying on the arm rest. His arms were above his head, and he didn't look very comfortable.

I tip-toed into the kitchen, making sure I didn't wake Louis. Yesterday was a long day. He deserved a good rest.

I got out everything I needed to make breakfast. I know Louis would yell at me when he woke up, but I couldn't help it. I wanted to thank him somehow. This was as close as I could get.

I made omelettes that my mum used to make. She was such a good cook. Her omelettes were the best thing she ever made, though. When I was nine, I asked her to write down the recipe for me.

After she died, I kept that recipe in a locked box. I took it out when I was ready to use it. Aunt Jen loved the omelettes. She let me make them every Saturday for as long as I could remember. Yesterday was the first Saturday in years when I didn't make breakfast.

As I was finishing up, Louis walked into the kitchen rubbing his eyes. "What are you doing?" he asked still rubbing his eyes.

"Making breakfast," I said proudly.

"I thought I told you not to," he said.

"Well I wanted to say thank you some how. You've done so much for me in these past two days. This was the only way I could show you that I'm grateful," I smiled.

"Alright, I guess I'll allow it this time. What did you make?"

"Omelettes. It's my mum's recipe." I gave him a plate and smiled.

He grabbed two forks from a drawer and handed me one. I waited for him to taste it first. I wanted to see his reaction.

He took a bite and his eyes got wide. "Wow! This is great! You're an amazing cook. I should let you cook more often."

"Thanks, but it's not my recipe. If it wasn't for my mum, I would have never learned it," I smiled.

"I'm happy that such a good family adopted you," he said. I was a bit caught off guard by his response. What does that mean? I smiled and nodded.

"Me too." I tried my best to cover up my suspicion, but I knew something was up.

"So, do you want to know what we're doing today?" he asked while wiggling his eyebrows. I nodded frantically. He whispered in my ear, "It's a secret." I groaned.

"Ugh! I hate you!" I joked. The smile on Louis' face vanished. The playful look in his eyes was replaced with fear and hurt. I quickly hugged him. "I was kidding," I said into his chest. He rubbed my back and rested his head on my shoulder. "I could never hate you, Louis. I love you too much." He pulled back from me and smiled.

"I love you too, Ellie," he said.

"Do you want to help me pick out my outfit for today since you won't tell me where we're going?" He chuckled and nodded. We raced up the steps and into the guest room. Louis opened the cupboard door. I walked over to the shelf of shorts and picked up a pair.

"Are these good?" I asked. He shook his head and put them back. "What do I wear then?" He took a dress off the hanger and handed it to me. "A dress?" He nodded.

"Yeah, today is going to be a bit different," he smiled. The dress he handed me was my favourite. It was a strap less blue dress with sequins around the top. It came down to my mid-thigh. I had the perfect pair of black peep-toe heels I wore with it.