Chapter 24

Chapter 24

"N-New York," I asked in disbelief.

I couldn't believe my ears. Is she serious? Of course, she is. She would never joke about something like this.

I looked over at Chris, and he had the same expression as me on his face. Eyes wide open and jaw dropped.

"Mum...are you serious?" he asked her.

Aunt Jen let out a deep sigh as she nodded.

"Yes. I'm serious. I got a job offer, and it just so happens to be in New York. I haven't given my manager an answer yet, though. So, if you two don't want to go, we don't have to," she explained.

Chris and I exchanged glances. I don't know what he is thinking, but I know what I want.

I want to leave. I want to leave Doncaster and go to New York. Sure it'll be hard to say goodbye to Lilly and Nick, but I'll have to suck it up. I will stay in touch with them, even though it will be hard to see them if we do move. I just really need to get out of England. Being here is bringing back too many unwanted memories. I have to get away.

"Ellie, what are you thinking?" asked Chris.

"I'm thinking I want to go to New York," I responded.

Aunt Jen smiled, and Chris just looked at me with a blank stare on his face.

"What are you thinking, Chris?" I asked in a whisper.

"I'm thinking it'll be hard to get into another college, but going to New York wouldn't be so bad."

I smiled along with Aunt Jen.

"It won't be as hard as you think. You're a smart boy. I'm positive you'll be able to get into any college in New York," Aunt Jen said.

Chris smiled at her.

"Well, I better go call my boss and tell him I'll accept the promotion."

Aunt Jen got up from the couch and went upstairs to her bedroom. I heard a door close on the second floor. I looked over at Chris and gave him a smile. A real smile. He returned it, and his deep brown eyes shone with happiness.

"We're moving," I smiled.

He nodded. "I know, and you won't have to worry about anything that's happened here anymore," he said.

I nodded. "You're right, but first, I'll have to tell Nick and Lilly."

"That you do, and I have to tell Paul."

Paul, wow, I almost forgot about him. He is Chris' best friend. Other than me, Chris tells him everything. They applied for all the same colleges. Paul would come over and help Chris and me mail out college resumes. And, the best part is, Chris and Paul go to the same college now too. They're even room mates. Well, for now anyway.

"How is he? I haven't seen him in forever," I said.

"He's good. He's actually been asking a lot about you lately. He misses his best friend," Chris joked.

I laughed. Yes, Paul and I are close. We have a relationship kind of like the one I have with Chris. I tell him everything. We can talk about anything, and he's like a brother to me. He protects me just like Chris. I miss him a lot. I hope he can come visit us before we leave.

"I miss him too. When you call him, tell me. I want to talk to him," I said.

"Why don't you just call him? You have his number," Chris pointed out.

"Because it'll be easier if you call him. It wouldn't make sense if we both called him, and we're in the same house."

"Alright. I'll call him and explain everything. Then, you can talk to him."