Chapter 39

"Is there anything you want to tell me Kristen?" He says evenly.

"No..." I say, wondering if there is. Is there? No. I haven't cheated, or lied, or stolen, or betrayed him. Not that I know of.

"Why don't you ask Toby." He says and throws a flimsy piece of paper to the ground in front of me.

I reach over and pick it up. The photo booth slip. The last picture really looks like Toby was about to... but he didn't. I stopped him. I don't know if he has a thing for me, but I sure as hell don't have one for him. It's Kyle I love. Not Toby.

I look up from the ground and see that Kyle is in the Rolls-Royce. Before I have a chance to catch up to him, he's driven off.

I need a car dammit. I rush inside. Harmony is the first person I see so I ask her first. "You want me to drive you where?"

"To Kyle's house."

"Why? And why now?"

"He ran off."

"What's wrong?" Don comes over and asks me.

"It's Kyle. He got upset over that stupid photo booth strip. How did he even get it?" I murmur.

"Oh... that's me. I woke up and found it in my purse after the party in Spring City. I was going to give it to you but I couldn't find you so I asked Kyle to give it to you instead. Why's he mad? I didn't get a chance to look at it."

"Never mind that." I say, my cheeks getting hot, "Can someone drive me there?"

"You stay here and enjoy the night. I'll be back in ten." Don says to Harmony.

"Thank you so much." I say.

Don and I walk back outside and to his car. We start driving quickly and I give Don directions uneasily. "Some advice... be honest."

"What makes you think I have something to lie about?"

"I don't. But even if... I don't know. Just tell the complete truth. Or else it might not work out, doll."

"Thanks. I guess."

Eventually we pull up outside his and Toby's house. I quickly send Don back and then speedily climb up to the front door. I knock loudly. "Kyle!" I shout. No one answers. I know Toby is working so I decide to open the door, which is unlocked as usual. "Kyle!" I call again.

I walk up the stairs to his room. If he's not here, he's probably at his hideout in the forest place. I push open the door and find him lying on his bed with his guitar in his lap. His tie is off. He probably threw it across the room. "Kyle."

"What."

"It's not what it looks like."

"It's not."

"It's not! Kyle, please, you have to believe me."

"So you're saying you didn't make out with my cousin?"

"I didn't! Why would I lie to you? I'll admit... he did seem like he was going to. But I pushed him away. Kyle, you have to believe-" He sits up and puts his guitar behind him, then walks past me into the hallway.

"I trusted you both."

"You can still trust me. I swear to God Kyle. I would never do that to you." I walk over to him and pull his arm to turn him around and face me. The way he looks at me now... I can't even describe his eyes. A mixture of hurt, betrayal, distrust. He doesn't know what to believe. And I don't blame him. I would think the same thing if I'd seen this picture.

"Kiddo..." He says softly and looks at his feet.

"Do you still trust me?" He takes a deep breath and then looks up. His eyes lock on mine. Dammit. A single tear trickles down my cheek. He wipes it away and cups my face in his hand.

"Don't." Another tear. I don't know what I'm feeling. I'm sorry for hurting him, but I'm also devastated that he doesn't trust me. "Kristen please." He pulls me into him and hugs me tightly as I cry softly into his shoulder. He strokes my hair as stifled sobs escape me. I try holding my breath. I can't believe I'm crying. I feel weak and like a child.

I step away from him and rub my eyes. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have come." It takes strenuous effort to keep my voice even, to force it not to break or crack or whimper.

"Kristen." He grabs my hand before I have a chance to move anymore. "Don't leave."

He stops me moving any further by sliding his hand up my arm and puling me closer. His lips reach mine, so softly that I can barely feel him there. In that instant, the pain of hurting him and being hurt vanishes and all that I'm aware of is him and the electric trails he leaves on my skin.

The intensity of the kiss escalates and the already little space between us is diminished. There is nothing but a blur of where he begins and I end. My heart races and I can feel his heart rate increasing under my fingertips. He runs his fingers through my hair and I shiver.

We pull apart briefly. Our eyes lock, our breathing syncs and the world slows. He squeezes his eyes shut and takes a deep breath. When he opens them, his lips start moving but I'm not sure what he's saying. A mix of sorry's and I trust you's and... I can't recall because he kisses me again and more fiercely then last time.

A clicking noise makes both of us pause and step back. The front door opens and Toby steps into view. Kyle steps past me and defensively in front of me. Toby walks up the stairs casually and begins, "What are you guys doing home so ear-"

In a blink of an eye, Kyle's fist collides with Toby's face.

________________________________________________________________________

I hope you guys liked this chapter. I always feel really awkward writing kissing scenes etc. I hope it was alright. If there's something missing, or any advice for those moments please comment or DM me!!!

Thanks for reading!

xxx

Aurora