Chapter 9- Confessions

"Darren, I need to talk to you." I said, almost angrily, pulling him up off the couch, leaving a very confused looking Wren in our wake.

I pulled him into a separate room and slightly blushed from the state it was in. I dismissed the thought and turned to him.

"Explain," I said, pulling up his hand and shaking his arm. "These."

"What are you talking about?" he said quietly, pushing up his glasses with his stray hand.

I pulled up his sleeve and he jerked his hand away.

"Stop freaking out." He said and glared at me.

"No! I want to know why you would do that to yourself." I said, almost whispering the last part.

"Why would I tell a random girl that I've known for a day?" he said, his voice full of venom.

"Because," I said, pulling up my sleeve and held out my wrist. "I know what it's like to fight that battle and I want to help."

His eyes widened and he brought a finger up to my wrist and felt over the raised scars then fell back down to his hip.

"I-I..." he started but I shushed him.

"Just tell me." I said and he pursed his lips and nodded.

"It started when I was twelve. My twin brother, David, was diagnosed with cancer and I didn't know what to do. I was always close to him and he was the stronger of us two, always knew what to do. It started with just a little scratch now and then, but then. Then. H-He died. On Christmas Eve night. I had to fucking wake up to my mother screaming. I slept with him right before he died, I slept in the same fucking bed. David, he had told me he was getting better and that he knew he was going to make it," he said, his voice breaking and he was doing that thing. The thing people do when they try not to cry. Y'know, clenching your fists and looking towards the shy. Maybe gritting their teeth and blinking quickly. "He lied. It was the worst day of my life. It got worse and worse after that day, a lot deeper, y'know. A lot more. My mom found out and said she didn't care if I died because I was nothing like David, and that she wanted me to die instead of David. that she wanted me to have cancer instead. So it got worse and worse until one day I I cut to deep and ended up having to go to the hospital. I was put on suicide watch, I couldn't even shave my face without someone taking the blade away. When I got out, my mom sent me to my dads. And here I am now."

I watched as a silent tear fell down his face and noticed I was crying also. I wiped a tear off of his face and embraced him tightly, feeling his body shake. He let out a loud sob and hugged me tighter.

"It's okay," I cooed, smoothing his hair down.

I'm determined to help him.

I have to help him.