Chapter 6: "Can We Still Be Friends?"

Mads walked off, seemingly conflicted about everything that he had just said to me, then sat by the edge of the mountain and stared off into the clear sky. I walked over, sat down next to him, and put my hand on top of his.

"Of course you can." I said softly. "I have exactly the same feelings for you."

"I know that you do. But, that is not why I can't."

What? How did he figure out that I had feelings for him? Were my words and actions too obvious? But, more importantly, why can't he kiss me?

He turned and faced me, "Us being together just wouldn't be feasible, Elise. My life is such an enormous mess. I am still in the midst of a nasty divorce, and the paparazzi would eat you alive. God only knows what those kinds of rumors would do to your career! I'd never want you to go through all of that. I can't bring you into my muddled chaos."

I didn't know how to respond; he had a point. My reckless self would just cause his already-messy life more problems.

"I'm sorry." I managed out.... I wasn't sure what more I could say.

"Oh no, please don't be. I've gotten myself into all of this nonsense on my own. It should be me who is apologizing to you, for not explaining myself sooner."

"Explaining yourself? Mads, we've only just met; I could never expect you to give me your life's story so instantly. Trust me, it's fine."

I smiled in attempt to hide the pain of wanting to kiss him and to, hopefully, help erase the pain that he was causing himself.

He smiled back with wishful eyes. "Can we still be friends, Elise?"

Friends? Fuck.

"Of course we can."

Mads stood to his feet and helped me stand onto mine. He wrapped his strong arms around my waist and hugged me for a long time.

"Thank you." he moved his hands across my lower back as he hesitantly released me.

"Now..." he continued. "I want you to look out into the distance and tell me what you see."

"The city?"

"No... No. Everyone can see that. What do you see?"

I remained silent as I carefully glanced over it all again.

What do I see?

"I see people. People taking to their daily routines. People with a story. People with a purpose. So many unique, extraordinary people who have dreams and live through every moment trying to get just one step closer to a life of unconditional happiness."

"Good, Elise. Now look at us. What do you see, now?"

"Those same people." I laughed in realization of what he had had wanted me to understand.

"Exactly!" he exclaimed as he gave a sly wink. "Keep that in the back of your mind whenever you feel stuck; whether it be with an idea for a film, or life itself. Humans are mysterious creatures, and we all differ from one another. Yet, we all seem to share the same overall desire for betterment of ourselves and those who surround us."

We stayed, continuing to talk over our lives, until the sun had finally set. Once the darkness breached, Mads decided to drive me back to my apartment.

"Do you usually walk to-and-from the studio?" Mads asked as I prepared to get out.

"Well yes, it's just down the street and I don't really have permission to park where the other workers do."

"Down the street? It's at least 3 miles away from here."

"I don't mind it."

"Would you mind if I drove you from now on? While I love Hollywood, there is still quite a bit of shit out there. I'd feel better knowing that you were with me, rather than walking the streets alone."

His sincere worry for me gave me butterflies.

"Sure, I don't mind." I answered as I left the car.

"Thank you. I'll be here at 7:30 tomorrow morning to pick you up; we can have breakfast. Goodnight Elise." He put the car in drive and waved.

"Goodnight Mads." I waved back before slowly entering the apartment building.