~Chapter Sixteen~

The drive back felt longer than it really was. I stared out my window more this time.

"You did good back there." Daryl's gruff voice came from the driver's seat. He was looking to me and to the road back and forth in the rear view mirror.

"Thanks... It was really nothing." I mumbled from the back seat. "Actually. None of it was me... it was all Beth.." I glanced at Daryl.

"Well still." Daryl put his eyes on the road and drove.

Beth really doesn't go out on runs a lot, but she did good this time. She could be helpful on more runs.

Suddenly the truck suddenly jerked to a stop making all of us fly forward a bit.

"What the hell?" Daryl rubbed his head a little then got out. I followed close behind.

"What happened?" I questioned as I looked at the front of the truck. "Nevermind..." I said as i saw all the blood caked on the front of it, and a nice dent on the hood.

"We hit one of those damn walkers." Daryl said before he kicked the bottom of the truck.

The clunk noise made the walker we had just hit angry and we saw hands wave out of the bottom of the truck.

"Great. It's still alive," He said before getting down and looking underneath the truck. "and it looks stuck under there good." He added.

"Dang." I sighed and crouched down to look under the truck. The walkers soft moans got louder as I crouched. I quickly stabbed its head making the moans stop.

"Let's get him out so we can get back home." I ordered as I grabbed hold of one of its rotting arms, and Daryl grabbed the other.

"Ready. One. Two. Three!" Daryl grunted as he pulled the walker out from under. I wiped my hand over my head and kicked the walker out of the way.

"Hey Beth. Any extra cloth in there?" Daryl asked as he walked up to Beth's window.

Beth nodded and reached down, picking up a good sized gray cloth. Daryl took it and dipped his head before going back to the front of the truck and bending down.

"Now what are ya doin'?" I quizzed as I watched him.

"I'm wiping the gunk off from the bottom." He paused and wiped a little before looking up at me. "Something you should always do when you hit one of those creatures." He grunted as he wiped more. "It could clog up something down here and cause problems with the vehicle." He finished and stood back up, throwing the red and gray cloth to the side.

"Hmm" I answered before jumping back into the truck.

Soon after Daryl got in too. We began back down the road. I could tell we were getting closer to home from distinct landmarks I had memorized.

I smiled as we pulled up to the barn. I grabbed my bag and jumped out, happily walking up to the house. I entered and went to where we kept the food. I showed everyone what I had collected then stored it all away. They praised me for finding useful stuff.

Theo ran down and hugged me as I walked into the main room where Abraham was.

"Welcome back." Theo smiled and hugged me.

"Thanks." I replied and hugged him back.

He bounced away back upstairs to resume whatever him and Carl were doing. Beth followed. Daryl, Glenn, and Rick were talking. That left me with Abraham.

I walked over and knelt by him, quickly checking his pulse. I would say the open wound isn't a walker bite. I smiled and patted his large, muscular arm and stood up.

Theo ran down the stairs.

"Hey Mist! Wanna go for a little hunt?" Theo said.
"Sure." I smiled at him then yelled, "Hey guys. Me and Theo are going out on a hunt!."

"Okay. Be careful and don't go too far." Rick replied from the other room.

"Come on." I said to Theo as I grabbed him and pulled him along.

We walked outside and went straight to the woods. I took out the machete Daryl gave me. We had a few traps set up so I was going to check them first.

"Sometimes the traps work, but if we don't check them enough walkers will get to what we catch before we do." I explained to Theo.

"I figured." Theo replied.

"Yeah. I will go this way and check theses traps. You go that way and check those traps. Call if anything happens." I explained while pointing to the trails were taking.

"Alright. Bye. I love you" Theo said as he hugged me and ran off.

I smiled then turned down my path. I walked for 3 or 4 minutes before coming to the first trap. A rabbit. I used my knife to kill it fully then hooked it up to a chain. I moved on to the next trap. Each trap was about 4 minutes apart... depending on how fast you walk. I arrived at the next one. Another rabbit. I did the process over again.

When I stood up I heard a scream. Instantly my mind went to Theo. I began running. Sprinting down the path. I could hear quiet crying and heavy breathing. I turned a corner and went around a tree and there Theo was. A walker digging into his leg. I hadn't noticed but I was sobbing. Theo looked up at me.

"Mist.." Theo whispered.

"I can still save you!" I said as I stabbed the walker that was eating him

"Mist. It's too late..." At this point Theo was gasping for air.

I had dropped down to my knees next to him. I placed one of my hands on his cheek. Tears falling onto his face.

"Please don't let me turn." Theo cried more.

"I... I won't." I stuttered. I could feel the trail the tears left. I wiped the tears that dripped onto him off and stood up.

"I... I...I love you.. Mist" And with that, he took his last breath.

"I love you too" I croaked out before stabbing him in the head, preventing him from turning.