Planning the journey

------------chapter 2 starts here------------

All the tension within the camp seemed to be confined to the tent. Not that there wasn't any of it outside. Just that so much of it was in there.

This slightly larger circular tent- about 100 yards across- was set up towards the center of our temporary settlement to provide a place for work for the police. Its strategic location allowed it to be protected from any sudden assaults, as well as optimize the speed at which information could be spread to reach the people.

I felt somewhat out of place in this tent. Probably because I was the only non-police member here. Commonpeople weren't allowed in here so that the "confidentiality" of information could be maintained.Even the rebel committee members (who would help strategize as well) weren't allowed in this tent, instead being allocated another tent.

"Marcus!" I heard Dave call me from a few feet away, gesturing for me to come. We entered a section of the tent that was partitioned off, filled with the innermost circle of the police. 

I looked around the table. Only a few members were missing. My nerves buzzed with anticipation. This meeting would discuss our strategy and our future.. But all I could do for now was wait.

------------------------------

"Before we start, I'd like to mention that we will be using a system of geography dating back to before Flipsyde to plan our movements."

A large map projected onto a screen. The man who was speaking pulled out a laser pointer and circled at a point on the map.

"This is where we are. Formerly known as Cincinnati, Ohio." 

Then he shifted the laser over to another point on the map. "This is Washington D.C. Our destination."

Then a curved line joining both of them lighted up. We shall be taking this path. Though the city of Columbus falls in our path, going there would be expected of us. Hence the alternate route. At any point in our journey, if we face any problem, we can always take a quick detour through Columbus.

From tomorrow, we will start radioing all the cities, warning people to leave their cities and come join the fight. If even a quarter of the residents join in, we should have enough manpower to flatten D.C. 

As he said this, a man rushed into the tent. He looked at the man who he had interrupted. "Sorry sir, but this message is important!"

I knew this man. Mr. Gardner. Dave's partner.

He looked at the chief. "Sir! We have a problem!"

He rushed over to the chief, a worried look on his face. All of us watched as they talked. I had seen Mr. Gardner many times. But never as worried as this. Could this problem be that worrying?

  After a minute of intense discussion, they turned to face us, a grim look on their faces.

Finally, the chief spoke. "It looks like we might not be getting reinforcements. The president wiped out the entire eastern seaboard."

Nobody said a word. Tens of thousands of potential allies, lost in moments. Even if they wanted to, nobody could say a word.

------------end of chapter 2------------

Whew that was pretty tough to write.. I had initially chosen Chicago for the city, but it seemed too far. I didn't want this journey to get longer than it already is (400 miles = approximately 1 month as it is)

I was initially planning to write two chapters today, but planning out the location took way too long.. Maybe tomorrow :)