Chapter Four

“Do you want coffee?” Mike asked politely, walking over to the kitchen as Matt sat on the couch.

He groaned at the offer, covering his eyes with his forearm. “Please. I need caffeine in my bloodstream.”

“God, you’re worse than I am, I swear.” Mike chuckled as he switched the kettle on. Mike had one of those houses where the kitchen and living room was only separated by a counter, so the pair could still talk whilst Mike was busy.

“Nope, you’re addicted to the stuff. I could never overcome that love.”

“And I don’t understand how you live without a coffee machine at home. It was the first thing I bought into this place.”

“Well, it’s not like Tyler drinks much coffee. And it’s much too much money for me to have on my own.”

“I have mine for myself.”

“You’re different. You don’t have a boyfriend like Tyler.” Matt semi-snapped.

“Calm it, I was only joking.” Mike placed Matt’s mug on the coffee table in front of him and settled himself in an armchair, for Matt was lying across the sofa.

“I know. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. So, how’s your week been? I haven’t seen you in ages.”

Matt sighed, and then explained all about meeting Josh and actually having a friend at college. And, like usual, Mike listened patiently until Matt had finished.

“How’s Tyler going to react to you having a friend at school?”

“Oh shit. He’s probably going to flip.”

“But what if you tell him the truth; that you’re just working with him on a project? Which is what’s happening, after all.”

“He’ll get pissy because I have to meet up with him for studying, and rehearsals, and all that...” Matt sat up and took a sip of his coffee before continuing. “And he’ll most likely think I’m cheating on him or whatever.”

Mike leant over and patted Matt’s knee somewhat comfortingly. “Bud, you know there’s not much that’s gonna change that. You’ve got to do the project, and Tyler’s got to get his head out of his own ass and start caring about others over himself.”

Matt snorted at the idea. “That’s likely.”

“Matt, I’m only trying to help. You know what I’ll say. You need to tell someone about him. This is not right.”

Shaking his head, Matt stood up, and began to pace anxiously. “I know it’s not right, Mike, I just can’t tell someone, I can’t. He’ll get so mad, you know? And then what if he does something bad? Like, bad bad?”

By this point the boy was almost hysterical. Talking about this was never easy, even if Mike was the only one who knew. Mike was sympathetic, sure, but sometimes talking only made things worse in Matt’s eyes.

“Matt, calm down. It’ll be okay. You just need to sit and talk things over.”

Matt slumped to the floor, crashing his head back against the wall. Taking deep breaths, he composed himself.

“I’m sorry. I’m just scared, okay?”

“Mhm. I know you are. I’m scared for you, bud. I don’t like seeing you get hurt and I can’t do anything about it, because you won’t fucking let me.” He gave a dry chuckle before getting up and crossing over to where Matt was on the floor. He sat in front of him and pulled his legs underneath himself in a pretzel shape.