Chapter Forty Eight

“That’s it, Matty. ‘S nearly done.” Josh squeezed Matt's hand tighter as the last stitch was removed from his lips by the same cheerful doctor who’d put them there in the first place. 

“There we go, Mr Webb. Just give me a minute before you try to move your mouth.” She picked up a cotton swab and smeared some antiseptic cream on Matt's lip. “Okay, you’ll need to reapply this cream as often as possible, and definitely after eating. If you can, drink using a straw, and be extra careful when eating. No salty or acidic foods for the moment, alright?”  

Matt nodded, not trusting himself to speak just yet. 

“You can come and visit us again in... looks like just after the New Year... yeah, next year to come take your cast off, alright?” 

“Yeah, that’s fine.” Matt replied, startling himself as his fingers automatically fluttered to his lips. “Oh, that’s weird.” 

“Does it feel different?” Josh asked inquisitively. “You sound different. You’re not lisping anymore!” 

“Yeah, it feels normal... er.” 

Josh and the doctor chuckled. “Mr Webb, it was nice to see you. I see you’ve been in good hands; your wounds are clean, well looked after.” 

“Well, that’s Josh for you.” 

“Well done.” The doctor spoke to Josh directly, and the tall boy nodded in thanks. 

“Thank you, doctor.” Matt smiled warmly. 

“Anytime, Mr Webb.” She said as the pair left hand in hand. 

“Josh!” Matt exclaimed as he caught sight of his boyfriend walking into their bathroom, which he was currently occupying. “I’m having a shower!” Josh rushed to Matt, and Matt pathetically tried to cover himself. 

“Oh, stop it, you. Y’know I’ve seen it all before.” Josh said, winking. “D’you want me to help you?” 

“Do my hair, please?” Matt asked, pulling a puppy dog face, as he stood in the tub already in the shower. He felt silly, with suds already covering his body but he was still holding his arm out of the tub to avoid getting his cast wet. Josh obliged, stripping down and getting in the shower too. He grabbed their shampoo, squeezed some out of the bottle and massaged it gently into Matt's hair, smiling when the younger closed his eyes gratefully.  

“Boy, you’re tired.” Josh commented, and Matt nodded.  

“I think it’s the pain meds. Nothing a little coffee can’t fix.” Matt replied with his eyes still closed. Josh took this opportunity to step closer and kiss Matt, just how they used to when the stitches weren’t there. Matt's eyes flew open, but he relaxed and closed them again, gingerly resting his hand on the small of Josh’s back. They stayed like that for a while, Matt letting his one hand wander over Josh's back but finally wrapping it around Josh's neck.  

“Mmph. Babe.” Matt said, breaking away. “We gotta go out soon.” 

“Ages away. We got time.” Josh commented, trailing kisses lower down the column of Matt's neck. 

“Sh-shit... don’t you give me any fuckin’ hick-hickeys...” Matt groaned softly. “I don’t want to explain to...” 

“No promises.” Josh said lowly. 

Boys!” Josh's mom called from upstairs. “You need to get ready!”  

Josh sighed as he placed his hands on the cool tile either side of Matt's head. There was a twinkle of amusement in Matt's eyes, and Josh just furrowed his eyebrows.