The Taken Back Kiss

Chapter 14

My face was still bright red, my eyes were puffy and my pillow was dripping wet with the tears that I cried for it. You may think I'm overreacting but I have lost my best friend. Memories don't fade like feeling do, they stay in your mind for weeks, month and possibly years. It was the morning, Monday. I sat up on my bed and looked around my room, it looked like a hurricane had gone through. Glass surrounded my bed, jumpers laid all over the floor, my clock in pieces and the wall looking quite bare from the missing picture frames.

A small knock came from my closed bedroom door and the knob twisted, my mother's concerned face crept through the gap. My head followed her gaze around the room and her mouth parted in an 'O'. She quickly hid her shock with a warm smile.

"Darling is everything okay?" Her voice shivered as she spoke daringly. My mother was an older image of me, everyone had said that we look so similar and if you didn't count the age marks, we would practically look sisters. She was the mother, who mostly everyone dreamed for, friendly, polite, caring, generous and gave me space, she trusted me to do the right things, learning that I would know the consequences that followed.

"Everything is fine mum." I put on my bed fake smile and she nodded, knowing whatever it was, that I would tell her when I'm ready. She nodded and closed the door, my smile vanishing from my face as soon as I heard my mother walk away. I realised my first mistake of the morning, I had not finished my homework. I had ten minutes to get ready for school and I wasn't sad anymore. I was angry.

I quickly jumped up, dodging the glass in the carpet and nearly tripping over the jumpers. My mother had told me that the best revenge was to look good. So I started with that.

At rapid speed, I jumped in the shower, cleaned my teeth, put my hair in a messy bun and went back to my room to change. Reece has always said that the clothes at the back of my cupboard were too girly for me. I was a nerd for god's sake so I learnt that wearing anything too revealing would be slutty. I dug through my closet until I found my secret weapon. My Boho printed Sundress. It shows my curves, which are normally hidden away behind my dad's old jumper and jeans. But today was different. Make up was easy, my cousin had taught me how to apply a natural look. She had said that I didn't even needed make up because I was already pretty, but I had never felt that way, because of Reece.

I strapped some black high heel books on and look myself once over in the mirror. My brown eyes stood out, and my dark brown hair finally was out of my face. I wanted no longer to be invisible and this was perfect.

My bag found its way onto my shoulders and I rushed out into the kitchen. It was like most kitchens, modern, white and filled with tiles. There was a small island in the centre of the room and an archway leading to the living room. I grabbed an apple and rushed towards the door shouting my goodbyes to my parents.

Two things remained in my mind as I walked to the bus stop.

Ignore Reece.

Ignore Cole.

The bus came into view and parked right in front of me, making my reflection viewable. I smiled at myself, looking proud of my effort and stepped on the bus. Wanting just to be swallowed up whole rather than going to the place I least wanted to be right now.