Chapter Fourteen

2013 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Unedited, first draft

Chapter Fourteen

Week Three

Thursday

            I wiped my eyes after hearing Chanel’s story and knowing the absolute torture she went through in high school. All I could manage to do was shake my head in disappointment at how cruel teenagers could be. I couldn’t fathom ever breaking a person apart like Chanel’s former friend, Hanna, did. It made me wish I could have been at her high school to stick up for her. It made me wish I could be her friend and not let things get as far as they did. There was no way I would have ever let someone be treated that way. It made me want to hug her or do something to take away her pain.

            Griffin glanced at me, but I ignored his questionable gaze as I took tissues to wipe my eyes and nose. What astounded me was his warm hand on my knee. I don’t know when it happened, I was too focused on Chanel, but it was comforting. He gave me a slight squeeze before he stood up. He walked over to Chanel after a few other members gave her encouraging words before the session ended. I watched as they exchanged words and Chanel smiled.

            Everyone was gone except for Dr. Harris, she just watched everyone’s interactions before she left too. I put on my jacket and trudged up to Chanel. She gave me a small smile and for a second it felt as if she was intimidated by me.

            “Can I give you a hug?” I asked and he eyes widened, taken aback by my question.

            “S-sure.”

            I placed my arms around her shoulders and held her tightly. “I just want to tell you how proud of you I am. You’re a strong, beautiful woman, Chanel. Don’t you ever forget that.”

            A short whimper escaped her mouth as she wrapped her arms around me as well. “Thank you so much,” She whispered. “That means a lot to me.”

            I pulled back to see tears in her eyes again. I gave a short laugh and handed her another tissue as she smiled. I left my number with her, “If you ever need anything, I’m always a phone call away. Day or night, I’ll be there to listen.”

            “The same goes for you, Cadence.”

            “Call me Cay.”

            The brisk air hit me once more. I took a deep breath, inhaling the fresh air after the all the crying that occurred in the group session. A figure stood off to my right and I didn’t need to look to know whom it was. He stepped forward from leaning against the building, a cigarette still in his hand.

            My phone rang then, my dad’s face popping up on the screen. “Hey dad,” I greeted.

            “Hey Cay, how did your session go?”

            “It was okay, what are you up to?”

            “Well, that’s what I wanted to ask about. Are you busy tonight?”

            “No,” I stated.

            “I haven’t seen you in some time, let’s go get some dinner and talk.”

            I puffed out my cheeks, “Sounds good!” We agreed on a place and I would meet him soon. We hung up and Griffin stepped near me, but not too close.