Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Week Two

Friday

            Griffin and I exchanged numbers, but I hadn’t heard from him yet. Then again, it’s been less than twenty-four hours. Did I expect a text or call yet? Not in the least. Quite frankly, I was mad at myself for dwelling on his possible text. So much so, that I called up Kirsten and asked about a party. She was ecstatic that I had called her to go to a party. She invited Harley along and told him to come pick me up.

            I had gotten ready in front of the mirror; I had straightened my auburn hair and I gave my eyes a smoky look to make my irises pop more. I wore tight fitted black jeans and a bright purple top with small black booties. I had to say that I looked great in the outfit. I was oddly excited to go dance at whatever club we went to.

            I got a text from Harley around seven at night that he had arrived and was waiting outside. I grabbed my jacket and bag before I ran for the door, but my mom’s presence stopped me.

            “Where are you going?” She inquired as she took in my appearance before applying lipstick in the oven’s reflection.

            “Out,” I stated. “Where are you going?”

            She glanced at me. “Out.”

            “A date?” I questioned and she nodded. “I’m staying at Kirsten’s.” I told her before leaving the house and heading for Harley’s car. I opened the door and sat down in a heap.

            “Hey,” He chuckled, “You look nice.” His eyes held a glint, as he looked me up and down. I looked at his attire as well and I had to admit that he looked very handsome. He wore black jeans as well, along with a green v-neck shirt.

            He threw the car in reverse and backed down my driveway. “Thanks,” I whispered and looked down.

            “Guess what?” He asked with an undertone of excitement.

            “What?” I inquired.

            “I’ll be going to Europe for one month.” He flashed me a smile.

            “Wow, that’s awesome!” I said. Harley worked as a financial analyst at a big software company that worked overseas as well. I was genuinely proud of Harley’s accomplishments. He was an amazing guy, he really was. However, he needed to lose his feelings for me and find someone who would love him back.

            “Yeah, the director of finance told me he sees a lot of promise in me and wants to take me along to Europe where our new building is at. He wants me to basically intern along his side while he helps the Europeans get started along with some other things.” He told me never losing the smile on his face.

            I squeezed his forearm, the one he used to steer the car, in enthusiasm. “You’re moving up in the world.” I replied and pulled my hand back into my lap. I sighed back into the seat. I wish I had my life figured out like Harley did, but I didn’t and that made me feel very inferior.

            “It seems I am.” He couldn’t seem to lose the smile of happiness on his face.

            “When do you leave?” I looked out the window at the snow on the lawns of houses that we passed.

            “Not for another month and a half though, but I can’t wait. I’ve never been to Europe before!” His copper-colored eyes glittered in exhilaration.