Chapter Twenty

2014 Copyright All Rights Reserved 

Unedited, first draft

Chapter Twenty

Week Five

Friday

            “I have your results,” My psychiatrist, Doctor Elmi, told me as I sat in the leather chair. She took a seat behind her desk and opened a folder. It was Friday morning and I was tired from the emotional turmoil Griffin put me through, as well as feeling sexually aroused with no release.

            “And?” I inquired.

         “And you do have the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene. You have the compound heterozygous mutation of C677T and A1298C. Those two are relatively common among Caucasians.” She stated.

            “Could you put that in simpler terms for what exactly that means?” I asked since I was utterly lost and also not a doctor.

            “Your body does not break down certain vitamins the way it should. And in turn, that’s why you may feel fatigue and lethargic.”

            “Oh,” I lamely replied.

            “Basically, we just need to get vitamins that are already broken down, or active, for your body.” She paused and began to type into her computer. “The compound can be responsible for you’re A.D.H.D. and depression, which we talked about before. When you get into having more than those two and adding in the third possibility, that’s where you get more into schizophrenia and diseases. For you, you will need vitamin B12, B6 and folate.”

            “What do each of those help do?” She shuffled through her papers and slid me a cardstock paper with vitamins and what they do.

            “You can keep that.” She informed me.

            I found B6 and noticed that symptoms and problems associated with it were depression, sleep problems, anxiety and fatigue. My eyes went a line lower to B12 and that would help fatigue, loss of appetite and depression. Lastly, two lines lower I found folate and read that it would also help with my fatigue and insomnia. “So basically taking this vitamins will help me to have more energy.”

            She nodded, “Take them for a week and let me know if you feel a change and if you’re still taking naps in the afternoons despite sleeping for ten hours prior to that.”

            “Okay…” I replied and she handed me a sheet with the list of vitamins to take. She told me that there was a vitamin shop next door if I wanted to go there before I went home.

            “Don’t think of the gene as mutation as much as you might be. There’s nothing wrong with you, your body is just needs help to break down the vitamins you ingest through food. That’s why we’re putting you on activated vitamins, it’ll help your body get what it needs.” She gave me a heartwarming smile.

            I did as Doctor Elmi said and went to the vitamin shop. The male clerk was very helpful to get me the vitamins she had on the list. I took one of each in the car before I headed home. I knew it was going to take a few days for me to actually notice a change in my energy level and sleep patterns.

            Later that night, I was sitting with Kirsten out back of the bar we were at. She wanted to have a smoke after our first beer. I wasn’t a smoker, but that didn’t matter. We huddled in our jackets, just the two of us. Kim wasn’t feeling well, but forced Kim and I to go and enjoy some time with each other anyways.