Chapter Five

Sorry, it's a bit short. I'm just not trying to cram too much into a chapter. I'll try and upload soon!

Chapter Five

Week One

Saturday

            Waking up feeling snug and warm had given me a true singe of happiness. Harley’s leftover cologne from last night wafted into my nose and I breathed in its musky and male scent. There was something about a guy who smelled good that was just an instant turn on for me. I burrowed my head into his chest, feeling safe and secure there. The tip of his fingers lightly trailed up and down my arm, alerting me that he was awake. I was slowly blinking my eyes open as I continued to listen to Harley’s melodic, steady heartbeat and his deep breathing.

            I heard the door to the other room open, but made no immediate motion to move away from Harley. He did and rolled slightly away from me. I peeked up and saw Kirsten with raised eyebrows as she eyed us with a smirk. She gave me a heated look and went for the bathroom.

            I sighed distastefully, secretly hoping to stay where it was safe and warm in Harley’s arms. I got off the bed and packed up my clothes that were thrown on the floor. I noticed Harley rubbing his face, but there was a small smile hidden there before it completely disappeared.

            At that precise moment, I remembered Harley had feelings for me and the distain I felt for myself was back. Harley could do better than me. I clearly wasn’t helping his feelings by sleeping in his arms and letting him be affectionate with me.

            He started to fix the couch and put his clothes on from the night before. Things felt slightly awkward, in my opinion, considering I knew how Harley felt about me and yet I currently didn’t feel the same way. I wanted to, I did, but I just didn’t for some reason. It was possibly I could, but I didn’t think a relationship was the best idea for me. I thought it would be completely unhealthy given my mental state, but a nagging feeling in the back of my mind told me Harley would always take care of me. I shook that thought away and we went to leave.

            Harley and I left briefly to give Kirsten and Kim some privacy.  I didn’t know what to say, thanks for keeping me warm last night? I just didn’t say anything.

            Kirsten came out then, gave Harley a goodbye hug and got into the car. He pulled me into a warm embrace that lasted longer than normal friend hugs. “Call me if you need anything. Anytime, time doesn’t matter.” He told me and I smiled into his shoulder. He kissed my hair before turning and walking away without looking back.

            I got into Kirsten’s car, “man, Harley has got it bad for you, Cay.” She shook her head and pulled out.

            “I wish he didn’t.” I mumbled to myself, putting my hands to the heater trying to warm up.

            Kirsten gave me sad eyes. “If you gave him a chance, you’d see how much he really does like you.”

            I sighed, “I can’t. Not right now. Boys are the last thing I need to think about.”

            She nodded in understanding and didn’t push the topic. “But I do have to say, seeing you two together on that pull out couch was adorable. Anything happen?”

            I shook my head, “No. He didn’t try anything either. We just cuddled since it was cold. What about you and Kim?” I playfully nudged her.

            She started to smile a lot and laugh. “Oh yeah, I’ve got it bad for that girl.”

            “Are you two dating yet?” I gazed out the window looking at the snow on the ground.

            “No, we’re still taking things slow.”

            “That’s good though.” I replied.

            “Yeah, but sometimes it can be frustrating. I work today at four, don’t you start today?”

            “Oh yeah, four also.” I mentally groaned at the thought of work.

            Kirsten always kept extra work clothes in her car so she didn’t have to go home. She drove us to my house and we hung out on the couch until it was time to go to work. I slowly put on my all black work attire and we headed out. We went in and Kirsten showed me to her manager Victor. She went into the back to start her shift.

            The night was somewhat busy, but I picked up things quickly since I had worked in a restaurant before. Victor didn’t need to train me as much as he thought he would, which he was happy about. Right near the end of Kirsten and I’s shift, since she got cut early to go home, in walked the mysterious figure from group. His hood was up and he was with a few other guys from the party the night before. Apparently he lived close.

            I was doing my chores for the night, which was rolling up silverware in napkins. I sat at a table in the back when he got sat somewhat near. Kirsten came out and took a seat across from me to help. Her hair was pinned back just like mine was. She noticed the guys and then looked at me.

            “Weren’t those guys at the party last night?” She questioned and I nodded.

            “Kirst, I have to tell you something. You see the guy in the black hoodie?” I asked without turning to look, though she swiftly peeked over.

            “Yeah?”

            “He’s in my group session for depression on Thursday’s. His name is Griffin.” I stated.

            “That boy has got some dark and evil looking eyes.” I rolled my eyes at that.

            “He’s attractive though, I’m oddly interested in him. Just something about him has me so intrigued.” I admitted as my hands continued to work with silverware.

            She scoffed, “honey, that boy looks like bad news. Plus, maybe it’s the depression that intrigues you. You’ve always had this weird behavior of wanting to fix people’s problems, regardless that you can’t fix your own. You can’t fix his, Cay, just don’t get involved. Go for Harley instead.”

            I shook my head slowly; I just couldn’t let Griffin out of my mind yet. I had to figure him out and know all about him. I needed to.