Chapter 25

Halt took a breath as he watched as Lilly was dragged backwards. They were there to orchestrate a smooth rescue operation, but she was dangerously provoking Josephine and events had sped up out of control.

"That escalated quickly," Crowley muttered under his breath as he kept pace with Halt.

"You could say that again," Halt replied in the same tone. "Hopefully Will has the sense enough to go ahead with the plan now."

"I'm sure that the kid will help with that," Crowley said, stopping with Halt next to a squat building used as a guard station, but now it was empty. They both took quick stock of their surroundings and then retrieved their bows from the pile of timber that was stacked next to the door along with two full quivers of arrows.

"The kid's name is Nial." Halt grunted out as he hoisted himself up the rough rock wall to the roof. From there they would have a clear vantage point over the entire square. "And he's not a bad kid."

They both crouched on the low roof, knowing that nobody would notice them, but not wanting to take the risk of being seen. They quickly kneeled and brought one of their twenty four arrows onto the bow string and waited.

Lilly was fighting the guards as much as she possibly could, but in the end she was still forced to her knees at the block. They secured her hands to the ground in such a position that her head had to stay on the top of the block. Thankfully the executioner was not prepared for the swift change in events, which bought them precious time.

Will pushed through the crowd, following Nial and ahead of him, Horace. They were trying to battle their way to the front of a crowd that was fighting against them, and it wasn't easy. His bow was slung over his shoulder, but in these close quarters, it would be of no use. He had already drawn the saxe and throwing knives from his side, ready for any person who would look to do them harm. He felt Nial surge past him in the crowd, lightly moving through the throng of people like he was a shadow. The blonde boy was soon meters ahead of Horace, forcing his way to the stage.

"Will!" Horace shouted, "I can't push my way through. There's just too many people."

"It's alright!" Will shouted back, next to his friend's ear. "Nial's going to get to the stage first. We need to get to a higher vantage point so I can use my bow."

"Go for one of the buildings!" Horace replied. "They're empty and high up. I'll try to get to the stage and help them."

Will nodded and took off, trying to shove his way back through the crowd.

The stone block was rough against Lilly's skin, and, from what she could see of it, was stained dark from its use. Her heartbeat sped up, knowing how vulnerable she was. She heard the grating sound of stone on metal, a sharpening stone on a blade, and she felt a chill run down her spine.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a blonde headed streak run across the stage and tackle the guard that was next to her father. The streak fought to the top, pinning the guard's arms under his legs. In one swift movement, he brought the hilt of a six inch knife straight into the defenseless man's temple. The guards at her side started shouting and stepped towards him.

"Nial, get my father out of here and run!" She shouted awkwardly, her head pinned to the block.

"Lilly!" Nial screamed, "I'm not going to leave you!"

"Don't question me, just do it!" she shouted, tears coming to her eyes.

Nial nodded, torn between them, and guided her father away from them.

She breathed a sigh of relief, knowing that if she happened to not make it, at least Clonmel would not be without a king. Above the noise of the commotion, she could hear the deep thrum of a longbow, and she waited for her rescue.

Halt and Crowley opened a path in the sea of people for the Nial and Sean. The farmers hidden amongst the crowd helped to create a hole and keep it clear of Josephine's supporters. They picked off the ones that managed to get around them. Nial and Sean successfully made it through the crowd, reaching a safe area of calm. The hidden Araluen knights immediately took up defensive position around them, and were able to keep the sea of Josephine's supporters at bay. Halt and Crowley saw that they needed no further help and returned their attention to the stage where Lilly was bound to the stone block.

"Hopefully we end this soon," Halt muttered, releasing another arrow. It found its mark with deadly accuracy, another guard toppling to the ground from the stage. "I only have seven arrows left."

Crowley had an arrow resting on the string, seeking out another target. "I agree, I'm down to my last handful."

Halt heard movement behind them and whipped around, bringing his bow up to a level position. He was knocked sideways with the flat side of a sword, landing on his side and tumbling to the edge of the roof. He was able to find some traction with his hands and slid halfway off the roof, and struggled to pull himself back up. Crowley immediately drew his saxe turning into a defensive stance. There were two guards, each with their swords drawn, one smiling devilishly.

"You thought you could actually defeat Queen Josephine?" the devilish one crowed, pointing the tip of the sword at Halt, who was slowly losing purchase on the roof.

Halt grimaced, "I'm surprised you haven't seen just how broken her mind is." He got both his elbows onto the roof and slid up onto it on his stomach.

"She's mad with greed and power," Crowley said, his hand inching towards the throwing knife in the sheath at his side. "Can't you see that she'll ruin the country?"

"She's the best thing that has ever happened to this country!" the devilish one said, waving the sword around. "She has brought great profit and prosperity to Clonmel, especially Dun Kilty. Now silence in the name of the Queen and accept your punishment." He raised his sword, and stepped toward Halt.

Halt rolled to the side, drawing his throwing knife and coming up on one knee, ready to throw. He never released the small weapon, seeing the ghastly look of death on the devilish one's face, his hands curling around the point of a sword protruding from his gut.

"She's one of the villainous ones," the guard behind him whispered into his ear. "She has terrorized the people of this country for too long. The Araluens can help us, and they will." He pulled his blade from the man's gut, and pushed his body off the roof. He turned to the Rangers, "you are here to help, right?"

"In any way we can," Halt affirmed, he snatched up his bow and returned to his original position. "Let's see if we can help this situation."