Chapter 4

It was Thursday and the Baron opened his court to help settle matters between people. There was a line of people waiting outside of the keep of the castle.

 "It'll be a longer wait than usual, but we should get back before midday." Nial said.

 "If all problems are short." Lilly pointed out.

 "True." Nial replied.

 Lilly offered to put their rides into the stable, so she left Nial in line at the keep. She rubbed the horse and mule down, but the stable boy offered to feed and water them, so she started to walk out of the stable.

 She pulled out her necklace and looked at her signet ring that was hanging on it, thinking about what she would say to the Baron. Lilly raised it to the light to see the intricate Lilly carved on the face. Someone came into her line of sight and she quickly dropped the chain. She bumped into the person and she looked up to see a Ranger, but not the young one from the tavern.

 "Sorry." Lilly mumbled, turning to walk out the door.

 "Come back here for a moment." The Ranger told her.

 Now nervous, Lilly turned around and approached the Ranger with her head down.

 "What you want?" Lilly asked.

 "Can you speak clearly?" he asked.

 "No. Never learn speak proper." Lilly answered.

 "Well you can't go in and speak to the Baron like that." He said.

 "How you know?" Lilly asked stunned.

 "I saw you get into line for an audience with the Baron." He said.

 "Anyway, what you want?" Lilly asked, knowing that he didn't answer her first question.

 "Where did you get that ring?" he asked.

 "Found it in farm field. Mine now." Lilly replied, her heart racing.

 "Okay. You'd better hurry up and get in line. It's almost your turn." He replied.

 Lilly nodded, turned, and walked outside. Unknowingly to her, the Ranger waited a couple of minutes and followed her to the castle keep.

"So you say that Barret's son, Christopher, made Jonathan drunk, so that he could take the bags of wool without having to pay for them?" Baron Arald asked.

 "Yes, my lord." Nial replied.

 "Well, he did pay for the drinks." Baron Arald ventured.

 “Not fair. Wool worth more than ale." Lilly protested.

 "I didn't say that there was no wrong doing here, but unless you can prove that Christopher forced Jonathan to drink, I can't interfere without having to try Jonathan for being drunk." Baron Arald replied.

 Lilly huffed in indignation and asked, "If prove that Christopher forced Jonathan drink, will arrest Christopher?"

 "There is a probability." The Baron replied, "But mind you, you can't go and frame Christopher. Then I'll have to arrest you."

 Lilly looked at the Baron like he was crazy.

 "Trust me, my lord; I'm sure she wouldn't do that." Nial put in.

 Nial grabbed Lilly's arm and led her out of the room and down the stairs.

Baron Arald looked after the couple in disappointment. Everyone took his jokes too seriously. There was movement from behind the Baron's desk. Baron Arald turned to face Halt as he stepped out of the shadows.