Chapter 1

Lilly was walking towards the farm house after another long day of work. She had come to the fief two weeks before and asked to help the farming family in return for food and a place to sleep. Lilly had quickly acclimated to the hard work of the job. She wiped her sweaty brow and sighed, thinking of the food that would be waiting for her there. She quickened her pace and came in through the door and sat down at the table. The head farmer's wife, Meredith, set a plate of chicken in the middle of the table with a loaf of bread. As the other men of the farm filed in through the door and took their place at the table. The wife looked worried when her son didn't take his place at the table.

She walked over to her husband, Joseph, and asked, "Have you seen Jonathan?"

 "Not since I sent him to go sell the extra two wool bundles that we had in the barn." He answered.

 "And when was that?" she asked.

 "About three, four hours ago." He answered.

 "He must've run into problems selling the wool to Christopher. He holds onto a penny so tight that it'll be easier robbing a knight for money." She said, trying to assure herself.

 Lilly finished her chicken and bread quickly, so she could sleep a little longer. Only heaven knew when she’d be able to sleep again after she left this farm for a new life. She was about to walk outside, but Meredith pulled her aside.

 "Can you please go see if Jonathan is okay and in Wensley still bartering with Christopher? I'll feel better to know that he is alive and not dead in some ditch, attacked by the bandits." She asked.

 Lilly nodded. Christopher, Barret's son didn’t have any qualities of a bargainer and usually took hours to get a price. By then it would be late at night and the seller would settle on an unreasonable price so they could get home. But there were bandits terrorizing small farms and small bands of travelers. Even though they were looking for her, they still robbed and beat their victims. Lilly hoped that the bandits didn't raid the farm she was staying at, because she would have to kill her fellow countrymen and reveal herself to the farmers. That is if she survived the attack.

 "Can I take the horse?" she asked.

 "If you think it will get you to Wensley quicker." She replied.

 Lilly nodded and walked to the barn where the work horses were kept. She saddled one of the less stocky work horses, sadly missing her own horse Blizzard, who was with a better family for the moment. When she first arrived in Araluen, she had stayed the night in an inn and made her way down the coast to the Redmont fief. There, she gave Blizzard to a Hibernian man who agreed to look after the horse until she came back for him. At first he disagreed to return the horse until he saw the signet ring on her necklace, which marked her as a member of a royal family.

 Mounting the horse, she rode at a steady trot towards Wensley. The town was only two kilometers from Castle Redmont; close enough to be evacuated before an attack, but far enough to provide more crops with the extra space that was used as farmland. She arrived at the gate and dismounted, walking the work horse behind her. She walked to the inn, tied the horse's reins to the post outside, and walked in.

 She went straight to the bar tender and asked, "Is ‘onathan here?" She purposefully spoke improperly, to disguise her upbringing. It also made her Hibernian accent disappear.

 "Yeah. He came through here 'bout three hours ago looking for Christopher. Then they came in sometime after that, bought drinks and began to barter. Christopher left about an hour ago, leaving Jonathan with a tankard of ale. He's sitting over there in the corner." Gary answered, pointing with the rag he was wiping the bar top with.

 Lilly turned to where Gary had pointed and saw Jonathan sitting with two girls talking and making gestures. Lilly approached the table and could hear the slurring of Jonathan's words as he spoke.

 "Yeah. Me pops is the best farmer in the business. One day he'll give me all 'e has and I'll be able to marry me to one of you fine ladies." He said, the girls giggling as he talked.

 "Oh, great job Jonathan. I come here to get you and find you drunker than a sailor." Lilly thought.

 As she stopped at the table, the girls stopped giggling and looked at her. Jonathan said something else, but noticed the girls had stopped reacting to what he said.

 "What'd we 'ave 'ere? He said, taking a sip from his empty tankard.

 "’onathan, you ‘avecome home now." Lilly said, hoping that he wasn't drunk enough to start a fight when she had to start dragging him out of the tavern.

 "I ain’tlisnin to a bossy lassie like yourself. I got me a nice couple of girls right here." He slurred, gesturing to the girls.

 But now the girls knew that the situation had gotten serious and didn't laugh at the drunk's words. They got up and walked out of the tavern, expecting trouble.

 "Aww, Look what you've done now. You've made me dates get up and walk away." Jonathan said trying to get up.

 Lilly caught him before he could fall face first into the ground. Jonathan's face grew red as he leaned on Lilly.

 "What do you think you're doing?" Jonathan shouted as he regained his balance.

 "Please come home." Lilly pleaded, looking at the bartender for help.

 "You know I don't 'ave to listen to you, you little farm girl. I'm gonna sit here and enjoy as many drinks as I can hold." He shouted.

 It got dead silent in the tavern. Everyone became interested in either their tankards or their plates. Different pairs of eyes shifted back and forth to the scene that was unfolding in the corner of the room. Silently and unknown to Jonathan, Gary moved behind Jonathan with a bung starter in his hand, the one used to open the big tankards.

 Jonathan began to rant, "You alls are wimps, listening to women like children!" shouting to everyone who was in the tavern.

 Gary came up behind Jonathan and brought the small mallet down on his head, just behind the right ear. There wasn't a lot of force behind the blow, but in Jonathan's drunken state, it was enough to knock him unconscious. Lilly caught Jonathan again and nodded her thanks to Gary.

 "I’ll need some ‘elp getting home." She said plainly.

 "Nial, get over here and help her get the boy on the horse, and then take her home." Gary yelled to one of his sons who helped out in the tavern.

 A small boy of about sixteen stepped out from behind the bar. He had been cleaning the tankards and had smudges of dirt on his face. He was small in stature and had a kind face. His blonde hair brought out the blue in his eyes and his slightly awkward grin, made him look likable.

 "H-h-hello." Nial said sheepishly, looking at the floor.

"Hello." Lilly said. “We go now."