Chapter One: Kittens bite back

AUTHORS NOTE: this is the first time I have written a story like this, and I also didn't have time to fix any mistakes in this chapter. I hope you enjoy it!!! don't forget to vote!!

~

I leaned against the kitchen counter, and watched Candice as she maneuvered back and forth complaining loudly about the landlord. I never had the unfortunate luck of accidentally running into him, so I didn't hate him as much as she hated him. Candice handed me a cup of coffee, and went back to the coffee pot and poured herself a cup. She was naturally beautiful, she had always been beautiful. She was taller, with a lean body. Her skin was sun kissed, and she had long blonde hair that I envied on the daily.

"So, Your welcome to stay here as long as you like" she took a careful sip out of her mug, her blue eyes glinting with happiness "Don't worry about rent, just worry about getting back on your feet first."

I smiled, "Candice, I honestly don't know what I would do without you" I took a cautious sip of my coffee... way too hot . Burnt tongue. Damn.

"So have you heard from your brother lately?" she asked, as she set her mug down and watched me intently

I shrugged "I called him yesterday, we just talked about his job..."

"So he doesn't know anything yet?" She raised her eyebrows

"I didn't want to bother him, especially since he just started his job, I didn't want him to give everything up and move back here, just for me..." I sighed, I wouldn't have told my brother. He would have came back in a heartbeat, and plus I wanted to prove a point; I could survive by myself.
He offered to send me checks in the mail, but me being me, I was stubborn and refused.

She nodded understandingly, then looked at me with concern "Why didn't you at least ask me for help, you know I would have done anything to help you! were like sisters! CLEO!!"  She exclaimed, a smile still on her lips

"I was embarrassed and scared, I was scared of what you would think of me, and I didn't want you to tell Azari..." I could feel tears welling up in my eyes, as I thought about everything that happened in the last month. From Azari moving away, to me living alone, to getting fired, and eventually being unable to pay for rent. It was a whole couple month of starving, and living in homeless shelters and working in a crappy diner. I avoided accidentally running into candice, so instead I just kept up with phone calls. I would call Azari and tell him how things were going, and of course I would lie about it all. I was so grateful that Candice had actually spotted me on the streets that one day, I couldn't imagine one more day living like that. the whole situation was just scary since I was alone in it all.

Candice quickly stood up, and walked around the kitchen island and hugged me. We hugged for a few seconds, and she pulled away and held me at arms length "I've been keeping a secret too"

perplexed, I eyed her suspiciously "you never keep secrets?"

she grinned, and nodded her head slowly "cleo... This one is big, like... big, big"

"hmm... will I be shocked?" I attempted to take another sip of the coffee. I watched her while I took a steady sip.

Candice grinned mischievously, "most definitely..." she nodded, a smile playing on her lips

I cradled the mug in my hands and gave her a suspicious look "Go on, get it over with, I cant take the suspense any longer" I laughed, jokingly.

"I've been working at Gentleman's club"

OH MY GOD! I chocked on my coffee, nearly spitting it all out. After a few coughs, I sat there stunned. I stared at Candice with wide eyes. Gentleman's club, was New York City's most infamous strip club. Candice was working as a stripper! she has to be joking! Why would she do that? She wouldn't do that! I rolled my eyes, and let out a laugh. Candice was kidding! She has to be!