Monster

A blur of people rushing by was all Alice could see. She had been exhausted from the effort it took her to survive. Giving up, she closed her eyes. Her senses died as she fell into a mild hibernation sleep.

     A shrill cry woke her up. The girl who fought her was lying inside a cover of blankets. Alice knew t was her becuse she saw another younger version of the girl screaming with tears rolling down her now bleeding red cheeks. Her face was twisted into a horrible expression of hatred and sadness of her loss. Beside her, were her two friends, trying to comfort her but it was all in vain. "Monster! You monster! What did you do to her," she cried, "You are a horrible monster! You... you witch! You took her away. Why didn't you die? Why was she the one?" Alice's head throbbed with intense pain and she fell back. Her eyes closed but she wasn't unconscious.

     'Am I a monster? Did I have to kill her? Have I become a murderer?' she questioned herself as lots of thoughts flooded her mind. The memories of the previous day flooded her with guilt. Why had she accepted? Why didn't she just reject the challenge. She could have avoided this. Why didn't she? But there were no answers since it was herself that  did it and she didn't know why. She could feel her body heating up. It felt like being toasted alive in an oven, except that it was a large oven; large enough to fit Alice. She couldn't wake up no matter what. Her body felt like exploding, mentally and physically, but she was helpless. Slowly, she felt a bit of softness seep in her and spread over her body, like a protective cover. She felt safe. Slowly, she fell asleep.