Echo Flowers: Chapter 18

We went to the Underground judgement hall, a yellow tilled beautiful church. His funeral was taken place there, and I did my best not to cry in front of Paps. 

My friends- lab mates were there, and I clutched the picture in my pocket. 'Don't forget' was always there. Written on the only happy photo we have together- of Papyrus, dad and I. 

We also had a picture of me, my lab mates,  and dad. Even now, they're the ones most traumatized my their teachers death- disappearance, as Al told me. But I know he's still alive... He has to be...

***

After the funeral, Alphys takes me outside to have a private talk.

"Sans... Dr. Gaster is in the void, remember when he taught us?" She asks. "Yeah" I shrug my shoulders. "Okay... So maybe there's a way we can get him back! But... It will take years of work. I also need to ask you something, but first, will you help me build it?" She asks again, pushing her glasses up. "Sure" I nod, she nervously plays with her thumbs. "Y-you don't m-mind this do y-you?" She nervously grins. Umm...

"Can I continue the work of your father?" She says in a jumble. Hmm... "Sure" I shrug my shoulders again. "Whew I thought you were-"

"But... Even if you think about killing anyone..." I turn her soul blue and back her against the wall, "You will have to suffer the consequences" I feel a rush of power, and I already know what's behind me, I can see it in the reflection of her glasses. 

"...!" She gasps. "Alright?" I ask menacingly. "Uh.. O-Okay..." I turn her SOUL back to its original color, and I walk away, into the dark forest, without a trace. 

The forest always seems to calm me, it's like living on the surface... Flora... Fresh air... Sunlight... All just distant memories of a child who grew up to fast. 

As soon as our artificial sun is resting on the horizon, I get a phone call from Papyrus. "Sans! Alphys invited us over to watch some anime tomorrow... If it's okay, can we go!?" He asks cheerfully. "To-Marrow!" I snicker. "Wow..." He replies lazily. "Bye!" He hangs up, annoyed at me. JOB WELL DONE!

Wait.

ANIME!?

"ALPHYS! WHY DID YOU INVITE US TO WATCH ANIME IT'S NOT AGE APPROPRIATE FOR PAPS!" I yell through the phone. "JEEZE! Relax, it's called 'College of the dead' a classic, PG anime!" She reassures me. "Great..." I roll my 'eyes'. She sighs through the phone, and..."Sans... I'm sorry about earlier, It's just... I found out about Undyne... And she's my best friend, I know why she's wearing an eye patch" Static covers the last few words. "Hey, Al, It's fine, Y'know?  Emotions are high today, and with everything that's happening... You don't need to say sorry" I forgive her. 

But It's still surprising that dad would do that... Scratch that, it isn't surprising at ALL. I hate him so bad... But he still is my father, so... I'm assuming that he's doing this to protect us.

The 'sun' is going down. Papyrus called, and asked if we could go to the wishing room in waterfall, and I agreed. A night under the 'stars' is always nice. Especially after these stressful days.

I make my way back to Snowdin, catching a ride from the Riverperson. Her voice sounds oddly familiar... But I can't place my finger on it. She is a wonderful singer, perfect when it comes to a short ride.

I make it home, and Papyrus is waiting sleeping on the couch. He's adorable. "Papyrus, aren't we going to waterfall?" I whisper with a smile. He stirs, and slowly opens his eyes. "Oh..." He yawns "Yeah, lets go!" He quickly gets excited, he bounds up, and takes my hand. "Come on!" he says before leading me into the snowy night. 

We decided to walk to Waterfall, making the night last longer. Our destination is the Echo Flower room, where Papyrus plans to wish- But I don't know what his wish is... I hope it's not about dad, I'd hate to break the truth to him- he's not dead, he's just lost. And he's never coming back.

***

We make it to the wishing room, and we sit down in the middle of the room, resting after our long walk. 

"So? Don't you have any wishes to make?" I ask,

"...hmm... Just one, but... It's kind of stupid" 

"Don't say that! Come on, I promise I won't laugh"

"...Hmm... If I say my wish... you promise you won't laugh at me?"

"Of course I won't laugh!"

"Someday, I'd like to climb this mountain we're all buried under...

Standing under the sky, looking at the world around... That's my wish"

I laugh...

"...Hey, you said you wouldn't laugh at it!"

"Sorry, it's just funny...

That's my wish too."