Chapter 4

Willow's POV:
The party is outside and people are everywhere, some dancing to the loud music playing while others are chatting with friends. Lily and I catch up with James by a table full of snacks in the front yard. "Guess what James?" Lily says. "What?" "Willow likes Jason." "Lily!" I say slapping her arm. "And this is a supposed to be a surprise to me?" He says grabbing a handful of pretzels. "Wait.....you already thought I liked him?" "Well yeah. You hang out with him all the time. What else was I supposed to think?" "It's not like that. I like him but I don't like him." "Does that even make sense? You either like him or you don't. May I remind you that I'm a boy." "I don't know maybe-" "I love this song!" Lily says interrupting me. "James, dance with me!" She says dragging him away. I stand back watching just as Jason comes up beside me. "Hey." He says. "Hi." "I'm glad you could make it." "Just don't mention any of this to my parents. I'm technically not supposed to be here." "Well since you are here you might as well enjoy yourself." He says taking my hand and spinning me around. I laugh. "So where's Hannah?" "I heard my name." Hannah says coming up to us before he can answer. She wraps her arms around his neck and places a kiss on his cheek. "I was just asking where you were." I say. "But you're here now so I'll just....." I say trying to step away but Jason grabs my arm. "Stay. I'm sure Hannah won't mind." "I really don't think I should. I'd hate to be the third wheel." "You won't. I promise." "Just let her go." Hannah says cutting in. "Maybe she'll have some luck trying to find her own boyfriend instead of hooking up with mine." "And that's my cue...." I say walking away looking for James and Lily as I go. After searching for awhile I finally find them just as they lean in to kiss each other. So much for trying not to be the third wheel. I decide to leave them alone and walk over to sit on Jason's front porch. After a few minutes they come over to me. "Willow," Lily says sitting down next to me. "we've been looking for you." "Really? You guys were looking for me?" "Yeah." They both say. "I'm confused. I didn't know kissing someone and looking for someone could be the same thing." "So you saw." "Yes. I saw. How could anyone not? And just like James I knew it was gonna happen." "You knew we were going to get together?" James says. "It was so obvious. She liked you and told everyone but you. You liked her and never told anyone except her." "Now you think you know everything." "I can tell the future." "Really?" "No!" I say slapping his arm. "I wish." "James and I are going to head back." Lily says standing up. "You coming?" "Go ahead. I'll catch up." "Ok." She says before they both run off. After sitting there for a few minutes I stand up and walk inside Jason's house. I'm sure he won't mind. When I get upstairs I slowly open the door to his room. I go over to one of the shelves I saw last time. It's filled with tons of soccer trophies but he's never talked about them and I wonder why. As I pick up one of the smaller ones Jason walks into the room. "Hey." He says which makes me jump and I almost drop the trophy. "Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you." He says crossing the room to where I am. "I was just...." I start but I'm not sure what I was doing. "I was just...." I sigh and put the trophy back on the shelf. "I was just looking for a place to get away." "I understand. Sometimes I need to get away too." "Why aren't you out there? This is your party you know." "I know." He says sitting down on his bed. "I guess I just needed a break." "A break from what? Hannah?" After realizing I said that out loud I quickly cover my mouth with my hand. "I'm sorry!" I say sitting down next to him. "I didn't mean that!" He laughs. "It's fine. Maybe you're right." "I am?" "Yeah. She's not exactly the most pleasant person to be around." "You do know she's your girlfriend, right?" "I know but maybe I don't want to be her boyfriend anymore." "Oh......." I say looking up at him and our eyes meet. He leans in and connects his lips with mine. When he starts to move away I stop him and pull him back into me. As our foreheads are leaning against each other I don't know what to think but I do know that if Hannah saw us she'd probably kill me.
I quickly move away from him when we hear footsteps down the hall. "There you are!" Hannah says walking into the room. "What's she doing here?" "I was just looking for my phone, but now I'm leaving." I say before quickly walking out of the door. "Willow, where were you?" Lily asks as soon as I step outside. "I was just-" "Forget it. Come on!" She says grabbing my hand. "We're about to play a game. You wanna play?" "I'll watch for awhile." "Fine." She sighs before going over to sit by James. After watching for a couple rounds I figure out that it's basically just a game of dare. "I guess you're too afraid to play." I hear someone say from behind me. I turn around to find Hannah. "Hannah, I'm glad to see you're still here to suck the fun out of the party." "Look, I don't know what you're up to but stay away from Jason." "What's your problem? I've never done anything to you! Jason and I have been friends way longer than you guys have been going out. What makes you think you can just come around and end it?" "You'll stay away from him if you know what's best for you." "No." I say as she starts to walk away. "I won't." "You're just testing me." "Try me." I say crossing my arms. "You're just acting like a little bitch because you don't have you're own boyfriend." "Whoa...." Jason says stepping in between us. I hadn't realized everyone was staring. "You know what Hannah" I say in a calmer voice than before. "maybe you're right. Maybe I am just acting like a bitch and I'm sorry. Here," I say taking Jason's cup out of his hand. "you look a little thirsty." I say before pouring it all over her. I hear her yelling stuff at me as I storm away. "Willow!" Lily says running after me. "Wait up, you can't just leave." "Yes. I can. And I am." "Well at least let me walk with you. You're staying at my house for the weekend, remember?" "I know, but wouldn't you rather stay here with James?" "I'll talk to him later." "Are you sure?" "Yes! He'll be fine." "Ok......" The entire time we're walking back to her house we don't say anything. "What made you so mad?" She asks stopping in front of the door. "She kept telling me to stay away from Jason just because they're together. There's no way I was going to listen to her." "Don't let her get to you." "I think it's a little bit too late for that." I say as she opens the door. "Mom we're home!" She yells as we walk towards her room. "Wait," Madge says walking out of kitchen. "where have you two been?" "Mom, I told you. We went to James' house." "So how's Annie and the girls?" "They're fine." "What did you guys do?" "Nothing really. We just hung out." "Well we were invited over for dinner while you were gone." "By who?" Instead of saying anything she motions for us to follow her into the kitchen. "I'm not so sure about this." I whisper to her as we walk. "I'm sure it's nothing." In the kitchen seated at the table is Annie, Gale, and my dad. "Are you still so sure about this?" I whisper once again. "Right now I'm just hoping that this won't get any worse than it already looks." "So how was the party?" Madge says crossing her arms. "Mom, I can explain." "Go ahead, explain." "Well James was there and my other friends were there and-" "Do you have a real reason why you went?" "I thought I was giving a real reason but I'll just go up to my room and save you the trouble of yelling at me." "I guess I'll come with you." I say. "I think I'm in just as much trouble as you are."
"What do you think your dad is going to say?" Lily asks as I'm packing my things. "I don't know. He'll probably tell me I'm not allowed to go anywhere for about week. What do you think is going to happen to you?" "Usually my mom grounds me for a couple of weeks but then after a few days my dad starts to feel bad for me so he ungrounds me." "Do you think that's going to happen this time?" "Maybe. It depends on how mad they are." "Well wish me luck." "Bye." She says as I walk out her door.
"Ready?" My dad says picking up his keys."Is this a trick question?" I ask following him outside. "Because I'm ready to go but I'm not sure I'm ready for you to yell at me." "Trying to be funny really isn't helping you right now." "It was just a party." I say getting in the car. "A party that you lied about going to." "I didn't lie. I told you I was staying at Lily's house and I was." "So you forgot to tell me about the party?" "No I just-" "You just what? You just thought it would be easier not to tell me about it?" "Maybe. I don't know. It seemed like a good idea at the time." "Well is it still a good idea?" I decide not to say anything, knowing it's best if we don't drag the conversation on. When we get home I storm inside and go upstairs to my room. As I'm unzipping my bag I get a text from Jason.
Jason-Meet me at my house?
W-Right now?
Jason-Yes
W-Idk I'm sort of n trouble.
Jason-It's kind of important.......
I think about it for a few minutes before I finally respond.
W-Don't worry. I'll b there. Just give me 10mins.
Technically my dad hasn't punished me yet but there's no way I'm just going to walk out of here. I grab my jacket and my phone before slowly opening my bedroom door. "Going somewhere." I hear Nathan say. "Yes but why do you wanna know?" I say turning to face him. "Well I heard you were in trouble." "Promise me you won't tell dad." "Why shouldn't I?" "Because if you do I'll tell him about the dog you kept in your room for a week." "They already know about that." "Fine. If you cover for me and promise not to tell I'll give you five dollars." "Deal!" "I'll give it to you when I get back. Just don't tell." "Wait.....you're never going to get past him if you sneak downstairs." "What?" "Follow me." He says walking towards his room. "Your room looks even worse than it did three years ago." I say walking in to find clothes everywhere. "Do you want to get out of here or not?" "Yes." "Here." He says pointing out the window. "If you climb down the side of the house no one will see you or even know you're gone." "I'm guessing you've done this before." "Maybe a couple of times." "Hey Nathan," I say as I'm climbing out the window. "thanks." "No problem. Now go." I slowly climb down to the ground, being careful of my every step. I wonder how Nathan does this all the time. When my feet are firmly on the ground again I throw my phone into my pocket and rush over to Jason's house.
Nothing's left of the party we had earlier. His entire yard is spotless once again. I guess Jason is good at covering up his tracks, unlike me. I quickly go up the steps and knock on the door. "Jason," I say when he opens the door. "What's so important because I have to be back home-" Before I can finish he kisses me. "You're the one that's so important." He says. "I can't stop thinking about you." Once again he's left me lost for words.
*
*
*
Song-Crazy Kids by Ke$ha