10. Horcruxes

Chapter Ten

As I waited outside for tom my curiosity got the best of me and I pressed my ear up against the door.

"Sir I wanted to ask you something" Tom's voice came from inside the room.

"Ask away, then, my boy, ask away"

"Sir, I wondered what you know about ... about Horcruxs?'' Tom's voice seemed unsure but quickly became stronger as he went on.

Slughorn didn't answer straight away and I pressed my ear against the door harder.

"Project for Defense Against the Dark Arts, is it?" Slughorn asked, the sound of hope in his voice.

"Not exactly, sir" Tom said, " I came across the term while reading and I didn't fully understand it"

"No ...well. You'd be hard-pushed to find a book at Hogwarts that will give you details on Horcruxs Tom, that is very dark stuff"

"But you obviously know all about them sir. I mean a wizard like you, sorry, I mean if you can't tell me, obviously. I just knew if anyone could tell me, you could. So I just thought I'd ask"

I continued to listen at the door confused at what was going on.

"Well," I herd Slughorn say "it can't hurt to give you an over view, of course. Just so you understand the term. A Horcruxs is the word used for and object in which a person has concealed part of their soul"

"I don't quit understand how that works, though sir" Tom said rather fast.

"Well you split you soul and hide it into an object outside the body. Then, even if one's body is attack or destroyed, one cannot die, for part of the soul remains earthbound and undamaged. But of course, existence in such form..." Slughorn pause for a moment before continuing "few would want it, Tom, very few. Death would be considered better"

"But how do you split your soul?'' I could here the curiosity strongly in Tom's voice now and I was surprised when Slughorn continued to explain to him.

"By an act of evil, by committing murder, killing rips the soul apart"

"What I don't understand though" Tom went on, pushing his luck "Just out of curiosity, would one Horcruxe be much use? Can you only split your soul once, wouldn't it be better, make you stronger, to have your soul split, in more pieces, perhaps seven?"

"Merlin's beard, Tom!" Slughorn gasped "Seven! Isn't it bad enough to think of killing one person, but to rip it into seven pieces..." from inside the room I could tell that Professor Slughorn was regretting having started this conversation with Tom.

"This is all hypothetical, what we are discussing, isn't it, all academic" I herd Slughorn ask

"Yes sir, of course"

"But all the same Tom, keep it quit, it is a banned subject in Hogwarts you know, Dumbledore is particularly fierce about it"

"I won't say a word sir"

I continued to listen at the door 'why does Tom want to know about that stuff for' and for some reason I had a feeling Tom was going to try making a Horcruxe.

The door suddenly opened while I was still deep in my thought. It snapped me out of my thought when the door began to pull away from me. I quickly jumped back and looked up to see Tom looking at me. He closed the door behind him and he looked down angrily at me.

"What do you think you were doing?" Tom asked me ''that was a private conversation"

I stood there with my mouth hanging open but no words would come out of it.

Tom grabbed me roughly by the arm and pulled me away.

"If you breath a word about what you herd to anyone, you-will-regret-it!" Tom threatened me with a deadly look in his eyes.

Tom then let me go and stormed off in the opposite direction.

Tom just threatened me I couldn't believe it. I felt kind of hurt of how Tom had reacted to me hearing his conversation. I knew it was private and all, but I would of thought by now Tom could trust me, but I guess I was wrong. I walked off slowly from where I had been standing with a look of confusion and hurt on my face and headed back to the Gryffindor tower. I did not talk to anyone, not even Ash who smiled and greeted me as I walked past. She seemed confused; I was hoping she thought I was just too tired, that I didn't even notice her. Well I knew that was going to be my excuse if she asked me about it in the morning.

I finished climbing the stairs and went into my room, no one else was in bed yet, and so I had the room to myself for the time being. I walked over slowly and fell backwards onto my soft bed, closing my eyes. Immediately I saw the angered face of Tom in my mind. I sighed 'he was such a jerk. If he thinks I am going to forgive him that tomorrow so easily, he has got another thing coming'

It took quiet some time, but finally I drifted off to sleep.

***

Thanks for reading, please vote and review :)