Chapter 7-Maryse

Ariana stood in the watery morning light outside Maryse's house. The damp ground under Ariana's shoes was slippery, and she squinted up at the sky, covered with fluffy white clouds. Just then, the gate opened and Maryse stood at the threshold.

"Well I thought you were dead! Where have you been hiding all this time?" she said without looking at Ariana, and bent to peck Rose on the cheek.

"Listen I'm sorry. I know, I..." Ariana started to say.

"No you listen, Ari," Maryse cut her off, narrowing her violet eyes dangerously. "I've been dying here and you don't even come by. I hardly ever see you around the village anymore. What's wrong with you? Don't you know I have been dying to tell you so much?"

"I'm sorry Maryse, but I was so busy around the house that I couldn't even find time for myself."

Maryse's features softened a little. She shook her head, her brown almost-black hair glistening in the sun.

"I don't know what I'm going to do with you," she said sighing, "Come on in."

Gratefully Ariana stepped over the threshold and into the shade of the too thick trees that grew everywhere in Maryse's garden. It looked like a miniature version of a forest. Maryse led them to a two story cottage-like house. The house was pretty, made of rough wood, with colorfully painted windows. Inside every surface of the house gleamed due to the continuous cleaning that Maryse's mother did even in her sleep.

Even now as she made her way towards them, she absently dusted every inch of furniture within her reach, with a feather duster. Maryse's mother, Vivian, had the same straight brown almost-black hair as Maryse. She smiled her thin-lipped smile, her deep blue eyes lighting up, as she hugged Ariana and then picked up Rose, and pecked her on the cheek.

"Ariana, it has been so long! Maryse has been prowling around the house like a caged lioness," she said turning to Ariana, her eyes flickering to Maryse and then back.

"I'm sorry Mrs.­­­—" she started to say, but Vivian cut in.

"Please Ari, I have told you before to call me Vivian. Mrs. Adrian makes me feel old," she said still smiling.

Ariana nodded, her cheeks flushing red.

"I'm sorry Vivian," she said uncomfortably, "I was busy around the house, so I couldn't come."

"Well you're here now. So I guess you two will be keeping to yourselves today. If you need anything just ask," she said warmly, before turning to Rose, who was wrapped in her arms and playing with her long brown hair, happily. "Meanwhile, you little Rose, are coming with me. We will wake Clove, bake you a cake and you can help me decorate it. Okay?" she said bouncing Rose up and down, gently.

Rose cooed in excitement and kicked her little feet the way she did when she was happy. Smiling Vivian went into the kitchen, whispering in Rose's ear. Ariana watched them go before turning to Maryse.

"Now, what was so important that it needed my immediate attention?" Ariana asked sarcastically.

"Come with me, I'll show you," Maryse said taking Ariana's hand and pulling, almost dragging her to her room.

Ariana stepped inside Maryse's room, and the first thing she saw was how clean it was. The cream-colored bed spread and curtains were spotless. The wood panels of the floor were scrubbed to perfection, and they reflected Ariana's face as she peered closer. The wooden walls were covered with paintings, most of which Maryse had painted herself, and a few were from Ariana. Just then, Ariana heard a chirping sound and wheeled around to see a cage with a beautiful, green and red bird in it, singing its song.

"It's a Quetzal," Maryse piped.

"I know," Ariana said, dazed. "How on earth did you catch it?"

Quetzals were beautiful but very hard to catch. Those who did sold them for high prices. They did not come cheap. The only ones who could afford to keep them were the royals. That was the reason Quetzals had become the kingdom's symbol.

Ariana stared in awe as the quetzal started to sing a new song. The bird was beautiful, and rare. Ariana had only seen its pictures in books and on the flags. The glossy green feathers and red-feathered center was striking. The three long feathers trailing down from its tail and touching the bottom of the cage were a beautiful sea green. The quetzal's beady eyes stared at Ariana, and it finished its song, cocking his head to a side.

"How did you catch it?" Ariana asked again.

"I found it in the garden, its wing was broken. So I nursed it back to health. That's why I wanted to talk to you so badly,"

Ariana nodded, still awe struck.

"And I want to give it to you: as a gift."

Now Ariana wheeled around to face Maryse. She could see that she was not joking.

"What? You cannot be serious! You found it and it's yours," Ariana said incredulously.

Maryse shook her head. "I want you to have it."

Ariana nodded unable to believe it.

"Why?" she asked, suddenly suspicious.

Maryse frowned, and then said, "Yesterday the cat tried to eat him. I thought he will be in safe hands, if you have him."