Chapter 6-Message in the Woods

The gardens were quiet, except for the sound of a running creek somewhere in the woods nearby, the occasional rustling of leaves and the chatter of birds from within the forest at the edge of the gardens.

Ariana sat on a white marble bench, her back towards the castle. She had no desire to watch the castle and all its inhabitants stand in all their glory. Instead, she turned her head towards the words and tried to picture hers in its stead. Her lake, lying placidly, swum before her eyes and the willow's leaves rustled in the wind so that she could almost hear the soft sound.

She missed her village, and the realization that she was away from them and no longer, a part of their lives cut at her heart deeply. She was invited to Maryse's wedding, but she could not leave before that and even if she went, no one would treat her same anymore.

Her mother and little Rose, were fighting their grief on their own, living on as villages even after Ariana's father was gone, with the help of villager, and Salem, while she was here, learning the ways of royalty. She should have been with them, helping them, sharing their grief.

She looked over her shoulder at the castle, and thought sadly, there was no one to share her grief.

A few nights ago-almost a week now-Aron had expressed his gratitude that Ariana's father was dead. His words had cut the deepest, and they still stung. Her pain had turned to fury, and she had shut the door in his face, paying no heed to his knocking and calling out.

An hour later, he had left, but the maid who had brought her breakfast the next morning had delivered her a message that the prince wanted to see her. She had sent her away, and ignored the message. Aron had sent for her repeatedly, until losing all hope he had turned to Ethel for help.

The sweet maid had urged Ariana to go hear what he had to say, and Ariana had wanted to, but the wounds were still fresh and bled every now and then, the blood fueling her anger.

"Tell His Highness to guard his words and actions," was all Ariana had told Ethel and had gone off to the Queen's study alone.

She had a notion that Aron would find her himself, eventually, no matter what. And he had, that very evening, as she had come out of the study, after an entire day worth of training. She had looked up, tired, as she exited the study, straight into the hazel-brown eyes of Aron Maximilian Ivers, as he stood against the wall opposite her. He had been waiting for her.

Ariana had glanced around furtively, but the hallway was deserted, except for the two of them. Mrs. Henley had left a minute before Ariana had come out and now they were alone.

"Ariana," Aron had said, standing upright.

She had stood there, silently.

"Ariana, listen to me," he had pleaded, moving forward. "Please."

"No," she had said, starting to move away. She needed to stay away from him.

A hand had clamped on her forearm, pulling her back.

"Just listen," he had said again.

"Take your hand off me," she snarled instead. He had looked at her in shock before dropping his hand. Her heart had broken then, seeing the look of pure hurt on his face, but she had run away to hide the tears in her eyes.

Her anger had been quenched with the tears she had shed, but now she felt terrible. Aron had not tried to ask for her and she was thankful, as she did not know how to face him.

There were other problems to think of. The rebellion in the north was persisting and was increasing if not the same. The King still had not passed his decision, but he was doing his all to ignore any suggestion from Ariana. He was obliged to include her in his council now but she had no say in anything. Aron was absent from all of these council meetings, and Ariana did not know whether to be upset or relieved.