Chapter 10-The Surprise

"Now we need to get Azul to your house. Azul can sit on your shoulder."

"He won't fly off?" Ariana asked.

Maryse shook her head.

"No he won't. I can tell," she said grabbing the empty cage.

They made their way down the stairs to find Rose eating a cake crusted with chopped almonds and honey.

"Come on Rose. Let's go home, mother will be waiting."

Rose stood up and her eyes widened when she saw the quetzal on Ariana's shoulder. Maryse bent and picked Rose off the floor and held her up. Her mother came with a large piece of cake in her hands. She offered it to Ariana saying, "For you and your mother. Come whenever you want to."

Maryse, Rose and Ariana left the shade of Maryse's garden, and stepped into the hot afternoon sun. As they made their way to Ariana's home many people turned to stare at the bird sitting on her shoulder. She felt like running away and hiding to get away from the staring eyes, but she held her ground.

Finally, they reached the gate of the house and stepped into the aroma of the roses. Inside once again, Ariana left Maryse to talk to her mother in the kitchen while she dashed upstairs and put Azul in the cage and tucked the cage safely near her window. Rose had come upstairs and watched her closely.

Then after bidding Maryse goodbye, Ariana turned to her mother, and was about to say that she wanted to go to the lake, when her mother exclaimed, "I just remembered!" Then she gestured for Ariana to follow her. She led her to the kitchen and leaned against the oven door. In the afternoon sunlight, her green eyes shone eagerly.

"What is it?" Ariana asked unable to contain her curiosity.

"Well when you left, I told you I had something to tell you and well I just remembered it."

"Well what was it then?" she asked eagerly.

"Salem's coming home," her mother whispered.

"Oh," was all Ariana could say, "I know. Maryse told me."

Her mother scrunched up her face and said, "No not that! Salem is coming back and he's coming to ask for your hand! He wrote that in his letter. Aren't you excited?"

Ariana felt like she was about to fall down. She felt weak. She didn't know what to think. She had no idea how to react. Salem was asking for her hand. How did this happen? They had always been like a brother and sister, they had been kids the last time they saw each other. When did this happen? Her mind buzzed with questions and speculations like a hive full of bees.

Her mother was staring at her intently. Ariana stood straight and said, "I'm going upstairs to my room. I need to think," and she ran upstairs.

Sitting on her bed, she tried to think straight. Maybe she was overreacting, but then it wasn't everyday you woke up and fought with your own father on the fate of many other people, learned that your long lost childhood friend-almost-brother was coming back after seven years and had asked for your hand in marriage. Not to forget, the fact that you learnt that the boy you met yesterday turned out to be a prince, who needed to be saved from the uprising your father was leading against the king. No, she had every right to overreact.

How her life had turned out to such a mess, she had no idea. She had woken just a couple of days ago, perfectly normal. Well not normal but at least her worries were limited now she wasn't so sure.

She looked at Azul and remembered her plan to go to her lake, but now she just couldn't muster the energy to fight. She needed to think or better yet to sleep and forget everything. She fell back on her bed, and closed her eyes, trying not to think anymore. Darkness swallowed her.

author's note:

hey i know its short but atleast it has a huge turn! anyway try not to panic. Salem's actually pretty nice. ari's gonna be fine she just had a lot to deal with in one day! i asure you people! anyway i'll try to update as soon as possible!

please comment! i would love hearing your feedback! and vote!