Chapter 17-Forced

Ariana woke up suddenly, and looked around her room confused. She remembered faintly having walked home last night and dropping on her bed, after changing her damp clothes for light warm ones. The walk home seemed very long. She only remembered bits of it. She propped herself up on her elbows and looked around.

Daylight was pouring in through her window, turning the wooden floor a light brown. She felt something constricting her windpipe and reached up to yank it off. Her hands brushed the cold metal and she realized that it was her seahorse necklace. She loosened the chain and breathed deeply, just as the door opened. It was Rose, grinning at her, her little teeth twinkling brightly, and her green eyes shining warmly.

"Rose!" she exclaimed.

"Ari momma call," Rose said and went out the door without waiting for a reply.

By the time, Ariana entered the kitchen everyone was seated around the table, clearly having breakfast. Her mother saw her and got up.

"Ari, why didn't you wake in the morning? I sent Rose to wake you yesterday too. Are you sleeping too late?" her mother asked her eyebrows drawn together in a frown.

"No," she blinked, and said, "I went to sleep at the right time." When her mother looked suspicious, she added, "Although now that you mention it, I did go to sleep pretty late yesterday. I just could not sleep."

"I was just talking to Dylan and he told me that you were walking out in the garden last night. You didn't go to the forest did you?" her mother asked.

"No, of course not!" she protested, "I was only getting some fresh air, and Dylan came out because he couldn't sleep, and then he left after some time when he felt tired."

"I believe you," her mother said, and relief flooded her veins. "But what about the wet clothes I found in your room?"

Ariana's heart missed a beat.

"Wet clothes?" she asked trying to appear innocent.

"Yes the clothes you wore yesterday were all wet," her mother said matter-of-factly.

"Well," Ariana started, and right at that moment Dylan got up and walked to them.

"Is everything okay Mrs. Greene?" he said concerned.

"Yes, of course it is," her mother, replied in a sweet voice.

"Great! You know I have to talk to you and Mr. Greene about something. I actually want your permission, and I thought what better place to ask than during breakfast, while we're all gathered around the table, chatting," Dylan said, in an equally sweet tone.

"Why yes. You can ask anything from us. It will be our pleasure," her mother encouraged.

"We're waiting for you at the table then," he said, before turning his back to them. For a moment, their eyes met and she could have sworn she saw him wink a knowing wink at her, and she silently thanked him for saving her.

Her mother followed him, before turning to her and stating sternly, "We will talk later."

All Ariana could do was stare at her mother as she turned back and walked into the kitchen again. Then realization hit her that Dylan had saved her! And her mother knew more than she was letting on. She had to think of a good story but that was hard without knowing what her mother knew. Maybe she should just tell the truth, well not the whole, but parts of it.

Not wanting to miss how Dylan would tackle her parents, she walked to the kitchen, a little dazed. She sat down at the table, when she felt someone nudge her and turned to see Rose smiling at her. She smiled back and turned to see who was on her other side. It was Salem. He was concentrating on cutting his food, but she saw him peek up, and meet her eyes.