Chapter 10-The Lack

Bleak landscape rolled last, rugged mountains dotted with warped trees and huge boulders. The horses tottered along the mountainside: two lone riders dressed in black cloaks that barely offered any shelter against the howling wind that carried splinters of ice that froze into their eyebrows and lashes when it blew in their direction.
Ziluis' injuries burned underneath his clothes, causing him to scowl even more than he normally did. The only consolation he could offer himself was that at least it would get a little warmer when the crossed through the Black River path. Below them the gorge ran deep, its churning water an odd shade of slate grey, like moving lead. It was part of why the pass was named Black River. There was also a legend that the village beyond the pass had once housed a thousand blacksmiths who made weapons and cooled their weapons in the river turning its color slate grey. The weapons they made were said to be indestructible, and many hero's in legends were said to have wielded them.
That made Ziluis skeptical. If they really had indestructible weapons how had they been unable to defend themselves when the invaders had come barging through the pass, killing them all. Surely someone who made weapons knew how to wield them best too. Myths were just lies told by fools to pass the time or gain favor.
Still, as a result, Black River village was a camp for soldiers now, with a fair amount of blacksmiths who supplied swords to the army. Ziluis and Kendrick had avoided it before as the place was bound to be swarming with the King's spies on the look out for the Commander. Now Ziluis pulled the hood of his cloak further up his head to hide the startling red of his hair that shone out like a beacon in this desolate windswept landscape.
As they rounded a bend in the path, Kendrick spoke up, shouting over the wind to be heard, "Are you sure we should not have brought any more soldiers?"
Ziluis, his patience stretched thin already, cast him a glare. "Never question my actions, soldier. I had every reason to leave them behind," he shouted back over the wind.
Kendrick nodded, as if he already knew this which made Ziluis's temper rise, but he reigned it in. He was just being irritable because of the weather. He had plundered the North before but had never stayed so long or with so little protection against it. The wild north where Krez's tribe was, was territory the army hadn't gotten to yet. You had to be allowed by the chief to live to pass the way into it. And Ziluis had every reason to keep his men there: to watch Krez, train the others, establish dominance, explore the area. He didn't trust Krez, but respected the Chief enough to stay out of his way, especially when he was staying on his hospitality. He didn't like having to, and that was exactly why he was going to Black River, as requested by the letter which could obviously have been a bait, except for the fact that no one but his men knew where he was. He just had to hope no one there noticed him for who he was.
They came to another bend and Ziluis leaned forward, intuition telling him they were close. On the other side of the mountain, at its foot was a village spread as far as the eye could see. It wasn't so much of a village now as a small town with military encampments around the edges. Ziluis could see soldiers marching around and counted about two hundred which were in clear view. He clenched his jaw and tightened his hold on the reigns before motioning to Kendrick to follow him.

"Where water runs black
And soldiers prepare for attack
Seek me in the darkest corner
For I like the lack.
And maybe I will help you fight back."

The message ran through Ziluis's head again. A riddle of sorts. It was clear enough that the person had called him to Black River but the next part was tricky. Darkest corner which lacked something? Was it the lack of light? Ziluis was unsure and he knew he wouldn't have a lot of time before he was recognized by soldiers and recaptured.
They found a small cave near the bend and ducked into it, trying their horses outside. They were still quite high and it was cold but now the mountain offered shelter against the biting wind. Kendrick observed the town underneath them while Ziluis rubbed what little salve he had left on his wounds, knowing it wouldn't do him any good but he didn't want his limp to stand out against the crowd, nor for people to cast the long red welts he had on his face and hands a second glance.
Kendrick ducked back inside to see Ziluis put the salve away and gather his cloak about himself, rising. "Commander, maybe I should go alone," Kendrick suggested, somewhat hesitantly.
Ziluis took a deep breath and shook his head. "I'm afraid that I must accompany you for now."
Kendrick's face was a picture of disagreement but he held his tongue. "If we are caught?" he asked instead.
"Then we are caught," Ziluis said calmly. Before tying a black cloth over his head and the lower half of his face, before concealing the rest of it under the hood of his cloak. Kendrick followed suit and the two men sneaked into the camp, without their horses.
Ziluis was unsure what they were looking for but kept in the lead, keeping in the shadows of the crowd, away from prying eyes of the soldiers.
A soldier caught his eye and squinted in his direction, but Ziluis blended back into the crowd and decided on separating from the crowd the first chance he got limping down an abandoned alleyway. Kendrick came in after him, his pupils dilated and a look of desperation on his face. "Commander, this is no use. They will spot you sooner or later," he breathed, adjusting the hood of his cloak lower over his own face.
"Yes, I know," the Commander sighed and Kendrick's eyes widened slightly at the realization that Ziluis had accepted he was right.
"You go on and ask every one you can think to trust," Ziluis continued, showing Kendrick the riddle he had stubbornly kept to himself all this while. Kendrick read through it and nodded once, before he walked away.
Ziluis grunted as he watched his receding figure and he limped into the darkness of the alley.
***
There was nothing like an pub for overhearing loose talk and that's where Ziluis headed. The inside reeked of alcohol, sweat and vomit and the place was dimly lit, with a few soldiers deeply drunk in the corner. Ziluis moved to the pub keeper, who was busy talking to another man, but turned go him as he sat down.
"What would you like?" he asked, eyeing Ziluis' well hidden face.
"Anything you got," Ziluis grunted, sitting down.
The man nodded and slid him a large glass of amber liquid, which Ziluis toyed with, before glancing at the man next to him, who was busy pouring his own drink down and ignoring him.
"Nice weather you have here," he commented after a while.
"Not from here?" The pub keeper asked curiously.
"No. I'm a traveler," the Commander replied shortly.
"Really?" This came from the man next to Ziluis as he swung in his chair to face him. "And where have you been?"
Ziluis shrugged lightly, "Came from the south, was up north a week ago. Terrible weather, no one is friendly either."
"What are you, a merchant?" the man asked, his curiosity evident.
"You could say that," he replied, before redirecting the focus. "So how fares the king after the attacks on his castle?"
"Aye, you heard about that, didn't you?" the pub keeper said, his voice low.
Ziluis nodded and he went on, "There has been news that the Spanish princesses came. Rumors that the King might marry his son off to one of them for a few soldiers and weapons."
"Really?" Ziluis asked, genuinely interested by the news. "What about that village girl they gave Ladyship a month ago?"
"What about her? There hasn't been much news of her, just speculations; that she is the rebel's agent in the castle trying to bring it down from the inside, that the Prince may have an eye for her, that she is a traitor to the rebels. No one knows what to think, until she does something," came the reply.
"And the rebels?"
The man cleared his throat and Ziluis looked back at him. The man was eyeing him rather keenly. "What do you know about the rebels?"
Ziluis laughed, becoming more cautious. "I want to know about them."
The other man smiled as well, but it didn't reach his eyes. "No news."
Ziluis nodded, tensing for a fight he sensed was coming. "Is there any inn I can stay at for the night?"
"Several," said the pub keeper. "There is the Cage inn, The Boar, the Turtle Tavern, The Lack, and of course The Blacksmith's Arm."
"The Lack?" Ziluis asked, raising his eyebrows at the strange name.
"It's not the most popular inn there is," the pub keeper grunted distastefully. "Its a bit strange in my opinion. But prices are low if you want to stay there, but so is their quality of service."
"Where is it?" Ziluis asked.
"I'll take you," said the man next to him, pushing his chair back.
Ziluis cast him a quick look, before smiling at him. "Thanks. But I can find my own way."
"Nonsense," he replied shortly. "I'm going that way too. Come."
Ziluis shrugged, before leaving his untouched drink at the counter.
***