Chapter 21-The Bonfire and Strangers

The place was actually a little clearing just inside the woods. It was a common place for campfires, as some of the villagers came there from time to time. There was a little wooden shed in a corner, between two trees, stocked up with firewood, as stone circle was piled with logs ready for lighting.

“Ariana, help me light this fire will you,” Dylan said, crouching down beside the logs.

Maryse went on to sit near the shed and Ariana began to build a fire with Dylan at her side. After a while, he put out a hand to stop her and hissed in a low voice, “Did you have to wear that dress?”

Ariana looked at him in surprise, hurt clear in her eyes. “You don’t like it?”

Dylan shook his head and said, “It’s beautiful. You look beautiful. Really. But a little too beautiful. I thought we agreed that Maryse—”

“I know,” Ariana said cutting him off. “But she looks gorgeous, Dylan. Look at her. I am wearing nothing but a rough dress. There’s nothing special about it.”

“Yes but you are wearing green. And if you don’t remember green is Salem’s favorite color,” Dylan said looking like he was in pain.

Ariana frowned. “He never told me that.”

“He should have. Because you are wearing green now and it makes you look like a—” Dylan was cut off as Salem’s voice rang out, saying, “Is this where the party is?”

He emerged from the trees, stepping into the firelight, smiling a little. All of them rose at the same time, Maryse with wide eyes from near the shed, Ariana and Dylan from near the now burning fire, looking a little startled.

“That’s one way to greet a friend sure. Greet him with silence like he’s a bloody ghost,” Salem said noticing their expressions, and coming forward. “If you didn’t want me here, why did you bother inviting me?”

“Hey Sal,” Dylan said, stepping forward and patting his shoulder, “We want you here of course. Come on, we were just getting the fire ready.”

Ariana moved back till she reached Maryse, grabbing her hand and giving a reassuring squeeze. Maryse held onto her as she walked forward, smiling a strained looking smile.

“Hello Salem,” she said, in a sweet voice.

“Maryse. You look gorgeous,” Salem said a little distractedly, his eyes surveying her before moving onto Ariana.

“Ariana, you look stunning,” he said, his cheeks reddening enough for her to see the faint blush in the firelight.

Ariana said nothing. Her throat felt jammed.

Concern passed over his face. “Ariana are you alright?” he asked.

Ariana who had been frowning at herself nodded hastily. “I’m fine. Just thinking,” she half whispered.

“Thinking,” Salem echoed, “What is it that needs more attention that you lose interest in your surroundings?”

Ariana gave him a warning glare, and he sobered, remembering as she hoped the events of this morning, and thinking that her mind was still there.

“Here,” Salem said to Dylan, throwing a tied sack that no one had noticed he had been carrying.

“What’s in it?” Dylan asked eyeing the sack suspiciously.

“They’re not lizards Dyl. I bought some apples and pears and a bag of walnuts and chestnuts. For roasting,” Salem offered a brief explanation.

“Lizards?” Ariana asked. A hint of smile showed at the corner of Salem’s mouth.

“Dylan doesn’t like lizards,” he said in a stage whisper.