Chapter 32-The Mystery of the Tree

Aron did not ask much questions and that was good; she wanted to forget everything that had happened, and was going to happen. She wanted to forget everything other than Aron, and the time she spent with him.

They walked about, hand in hand, talking about trivial things such as the weather. Ariana also contemplated her plan to stop the rebellion while they walked silently. Aron looked content, and her heart melted when she saw him, but there was also the dread of the future, and she had to do all in her power to save him.

Aron wrapped his arm around her waist and brought her against him. "Is something the matter, my dear dryad?" he whispered in her ear.

She smiled ruefully, and replied sweetly, "Only that you won't swim for me."

Aron cast her a look of panic and underlying amusement. "I would walk to the ends of the earth for you. But I will in no circumstances swim to the end," he declared.

She hid her smile and made a sour face instead, saying, "You don't love me enough, then."

Aron huffed a breath out. "Unless water is involved I very much do."

"But 'not enough'," she emphasized.

"Do you hate me so much that you want me to dive into a lake and drown a painful death? Even if I might prove of some actual use to the world?" he asked mock-seriously.

"But you are important. You are the 'prince'," Ariana pointed out.

Aron smiled a bright smile, and lent down towards her to say, "Exactly my point."

"So you still refuse to swim?" she confirmed, and he nodded vigorously.

"Even if I fell in?" she asked, edging away from him, towards the bank of the lake. It took Aron a split second to realize her intentions, then he ran towards her, and putting himself between the lake and her, he said, "No."

She cocked her head and said, "What are you talking about? I know how to swim."

Aron straightened, and lost the defensive posture, looking a little sheepish. "I thought that-"

"I was going to throw you in actually," she cut in, and pushed his shoulder gently. "Like this."

"Dryads are cunning creatures, aren't they?" Aron asked, his eyes glinting like honey in thin light the moon cast on them.

She stuck out her tongue, and began to move away, a smile on her face, unseen by Aron.

* * *

Outside the house, Dylan strolled around, whistling tunelessly, the sound filling the already heavy air and mingling with perfume of roses.

A figure emerged from the nearby trees and Dylan stopped as if he had been expecting it. Ariana came into sight, looking delightfully happy.

"Conspicuous timing, conspicuous place, and you look conspicuous too," Dylan said, while examining his fingernails.

Ariana stopped and smiled fleetingly at him. "The place is my home, the timing is a little after sunset, and I have a right to be as I want. Do you have this much free time every day?"

"Free time?" Dylan looked confused. "Is that a possibility now? Thank God for genius humans! It used to be only a dream a few years ago! How this race excels!"

"Dylan..." Ariana said in a dangerously soft voice. "Answer what I was asking or get ready to meet a lizard in the morning."

"No thank you. I am not ready to court anyone yet. I prefer being like this," Dylan waved her warning off like an un-needed offer.