Chapter 11-Salem Arrives

She opened her eyes and squinted at the window. She could see Azul's glistening feathers in the waning light. It must be sunset by now, she thought groggily and got up. She was on the first step of the stairs when she heard voices coming from downstairs. She heard her father laugh. That was strange: her father rarely laughed. Ariana frowned at this. Then came another voice, soft and husky. It sounded vaguely familiar, as if she had heard it before in a dream. Ariana continued downstairs but cautiously, so she wouldn't be seen or heard.

"So I hope you have to come to stay for a long time," her father was saying, a smile obvious in his voice. She stopped where she stood, listening hard.

"Yes well, you know I'm here till we can succeed, and also because of my other decision," the husky voice said.

Ariana frowned. Who was to stay with them and for a long time too? She couldn't remember.

"Well I'm sure Ariana would be glad to hear our decision," her father said, assuring the other person. Ariana's frown deepened, were they talking about her?

"I hope so. You did not tell her yet?" the voice said anxiously.

No, not just a voice, Ariana realized with a jolt, it was Salem. And they were discussing her.

Her mother's voice filled the anxious silence, "Actually I did. Yesterday. But I don't know how she reacted. Girls these days are so melodramatic. She just said she was going up to her room, and she ran off."

So it was morning now, she thought, since her mother had said that she had told her about Salem coming home yesterday. It must be early morning now.

"I understand. It must be strange for her," Salem's voice broke into her thoughts.

Ariana couldn't stand them discussing her anymore so she stomped down the rest of the stairs, to make her arrival heard.

"Hello everyone," she said coldly and went into the kitchen to find Rose sitting there absently.

"Rosy, what are you doing here alone?" she asked, warmly, picking her up.

Rose's lips pulled down into a grimace.

"They no fun," she said, pointing to the living room where their parents and Salem were sitting.

"Come on. What do you want to eat?" Ariana asked, smiling at Rose's answer. She was finally learning how to speak more.

"Potato!" Rose cheered.

Ariana rolled her eyes.

"Okay, sit there," she said, putting her down on a chair just as their mother came in.

"Ariana, how are you?" her mother asked worriedly, scanning her face.

Ariana sighed and looked her mother in the eye warily.

"I'm fine," she lied.

"You didn't even meet Salem. I thought something was wrong," her mother explained.

She shrugged, "I was just hungry, and I was planning on having breakfast before anything else."

"Well now. That's no way to behave. Your father is angry at your behavior. You need to go meet Salem right now and tell him that you're sorry for your behavior," her mother said sternly.

Ariana grimaced and went into the living room. She stopped in her tracks. There, seated in front of her was Salem but he was so changed that he was barely recognizable. Close cropped black hair, and gray eyes that were still recognizable, were staring back at her, her surprise reflected in them. His face had lost all its softness, and now he had high cheekbones, and a strong jaw, that was clenched anxiously.