CHAPTER 15: Give Your Heart A Break.

Robin pulled away almost instantly and stood up quickly, pushing me back against the headboard. Jessie still stood strongly in the doorway, her hands now on her hips. Every now and then she would glance over Robin's shoulder, connecting her eyes with mine. I knew I was safe. I knew nothing could harm me, not with Jessie watching over me anyway. "What do you think you're doing, mister?" She growled, taking a step closer to Robin. He stepped back in shock, like Jessie had just knocked down every wall that was surrounding him. "I said, what do you think you're doing?" Jessie repeated, taking another small step closer. Robin remained standing where he was, still not saying a word. I sat up straight and watched; I wasn't going to get involved, not yet anyway. "I-I don't k-know..." Robin stammered, still motionless. "Well why are you still here then?" Jessie asked rhetorically, patting down her hair confidently. Robin took this as a sign and pushed past her, but she merely elbowed his arm as he walked by. I swung my legs over the end of the bed and stood up, confused but smiling. "Why are you here?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "Don't act like you're not pleased, babe." -"Well, I don't know how to act right now. I still don't get why you-" Jessie walked towards me and took my hand. "Why I left? Look, I didn't want to, trust me. I was really looking forward to going to America with you." She sat down on the bed and I copied, looking deep into her green eyes. They were glinting a little in the dim light, a worried glint. Almost as though something was after her, something that could harm her. It was like she was the prey and the predator was searching, and it was near. Close and hungry.

"Dylan." She whispered over my shoulder, after pulling me into a tight hug. "This was all him. He threatened me." All of a sudden I felt protective, like I was in charge of looking after her. Like it was my duty not to let anything or anyone near her. I squeezed her tightly and let out a sigh. "I could tell you didn't want to go... I knew you were crying so much, he hurt you. And he hurt me too." I felt her bury her face in my shoulder, and I gave her another squeeze. "I'm never going to let him hurt you again." -"And I'm not going to let anything bad happen to you, ever. I love you, Demi." -"I love you too, Jessica." That was the first time I had called her Jessica. She pulled away from me and smiled widely. "Well if we're going all posh, then you're technically Demetria." She winked at me and kissed me gently. "I love you, Demetria." She repeated, pulling away slowly.

"I have to tell you something else." She whispered. "What is it?" -"Dylan's coming." She said simply, and I saw her eyes glaze over. I grabbed her shoulders and held them tightly. "What do you mean, he's coming?" -"At every festival, every concert, he was there, in the crowd." Her voice was wobbly. "I had to leave that place, so I boarded the first plane and came back here. Natasha, I think her name is, has your phone I think. She called me, said you were here. I came and she 'greeted' me. Hammered, that girl." She giggled and I wiped away the couple of tears that were trickling down her cheeks. "Why's she got my phone?" I asked rhetorically and laughed. "I don't know babe, I didn't have my phone on me so I looked you up on Lewie's phone and that's the first number that came up." She giggled again. "Oh well, the phone will lock itself soon. I bet she's taking stupid selfies again." I huffed and stood up. Jessie stood up in front of me and jumped on me, her legs wrapped around my waist. I kissed her again and began to waddle over to the door. I opened it, Jessie still clutching onto me, and made my way carefully down the stairs. Jessie smiled, literally almost ear to ear and she wrapped her arms tightly around my neck. "Why you so happy all of a sudden?" I asked, standing at the bottom of the stairs. She slid off of me and grabbed my hand, pulling me into the crowds of teens in the living room. There was no music on, to which I was confused about, but Jessie pushed me down on the empty sofa and walked swiftly away into the crowds. I sat awkwardly on the sofa, until the sea of people split down the middle, and they all began to sway their arms in unison, in time to the first few chords to the new playing song. Jessie strolled down the middle, a microphone held tightly in her hand. She smiled at me and brought the microphone to her lips.

"The day I first met you
You told me you'd never fall in love
But now that I get you
I know fear is what it really was

Now here we are,
So close yet so far.
Haven't I passed the test?
When will you realize,
Baby, I'm not like the rest?"

She sang deeply to me, keeping continuous eye contact.

"Don't wanna break your heart
Wanna give your heart a break
I know you're scared it's wrong
Like you might make a mistake
There's just one life to live
And there's no time to waste, to waste
So let me give your heart a break, give your heart a break
Let me give your heart a break, your heart a break
There's just so much you can take
Give your heart a break
Let me give your heart a break, your heart a break
Oh yeah, yeah."

She moved her face closer to mine, and rested her forehead on mine.

"When your lips are on my lips
Then our hearts beat as one
But you slip out of my fingertips
Every time you run, whoa-oh-whoa-oh-oh."

She stepped away and ran up the gap in the middle of the crowds, spinning and jumping a few times. She was an amazing performer, woah. She sung the chorus again, and then turned to face me again. She pointed and smiled.

"Cause you've been hurt before
I can see it in your eyes
You try to smile it away, some things you can't disguise
Don't wanna break your heart
Maybe, I can ease the ache, the ache
So let me give your heart a break, give your heart a break."

(Authors note: This song is "Give Your Heart A Break"-by Demi Lovato.)

The song finished and the crowds re-flooded the room. Jessie skipped towards me and sat on my lap, her knees either side of my hips. She kissed me again but she smiled so much, it was impossible to kiss her any longer. "Let me give your heart a break." She whispered onto my lips. "Run away with me..." Her voice trailed off as she rested her forehead on mine. Her hands squeezed my shoulders and she buried her face in my neck again. "You don't have to be afraid babe, I'm here. Nothing can happen to you." -"But Demi, I'm scared. You know what Dylan can do. I don't want him to hurt me." She wrapped her arms around my neck as I sat forward and squeezed her waist. "He won't." I said simply.

My head shot up and I reflexively grabbed Jessie hands. She rolled off of me and I stood up quickly, still clutching her left hand tightly. Standing at the door was a bruised and cut Joey. He leant himself against the cream wall and glared at me across the room. I stepped to the side, out of the crowds, and faced him, only a few metres away. Jessie looked up at me with puzzled eyes and then back over to the beaten Joey. "Whatever you do, don't be stupid." I mouthed at him, to which he winked at me. I pushed Jessie behind me protectively and raised an eyebrow. He wiped his nose on his sleeve and looked down at the continuous drip of blood flinging itself to the cream carpet below. "Daisy!" He simply called, a demanding hit in his voice. Daisy ran over to him and flung her arms around his neck, squeezing him tight. This made him grimace, but his eye contact with me did not flinch. He simply pointed over at me and said, "This was her, she did all this." He blinked hard a few times and the next thing I knew, Daisy was staring at me with hard eyes. "And what's this?" She asked, wiggling my phone. "Natasha gave it to me." She winked evilly at me. "You mean that? She did this?" She asked to him, and he nodded slowly. "Doesn't think I deserve you." He rested his arm on Daisy's shoulder. "Do it." He whispered, and before I knew it, Daisy pulled the phone to her ear. "Don't you do anything stupid either." I raised my hand towards them. "Daisy, honey, you're drunk. Stop." Jessie tightened her grip on my other hand. I looked at her reassuringly and then resumed my glance to the sickening couple. "What are they doing?" Jessie whispered over my shoulder. I thought it was pretty quiet but Daisy obviously heard and she decided to reply.

"I'm calling the police."