Chapter 7

Willow barely weighed anything to Bucky, and he carried her as gently as he could down to the stairs to Banner's lab. 

  Bruce's eyes widened, "What the-?"

"There's something wrong. I need you to scan through her brainwaves," Natasha said, entering the lab behind Bucky.

 "Of course, set her down," Bruce nodded, indicating a metal table.

  Lowering her onto the table, Bucky noticed that Willow's eyes were still glowing slightly, not their usual white, but an ice blue. Steve had to pull his friend away from the table as Bruce set to work, hooking Willow up to several monitors. 

 His eyes scanning over the data Bruce began to speak, his voice filled with shock, "Guys, Willow's brainwaves are twice what is usual for her. Her mind operates naturally on a level higher than any of ours, but compared to previous recording of Willow's brainwaves, this is crazy." Bruce paused, and then spoke again, sounding slightly horrified, "It's like there are two presences fighting for control on Willow's mind, Willow and something else."

 A wave of horror crashed over Bucky. He was terrified that Willow would lose control of her own mind, and Coulson had told Bucky and Steve that if she ever got a complete grasp on her powers, she could kill them all if she chose to. Both of them had assured Coulson she would never hurt any of them, and that had been true. But if something took control of her mind... Bucky shuddered, pushing those thoughts out of his head. 

 Bruce began speaking again, "It looks like Willow is winning. Her brainwave levels are normal, though the second presence is still there, just reduced. She'll be out for a while, so get comfortable."

 Bucky pulled a chair up next to Willow and sat down, holding her left hand with his right. He could see her eyes moving frantically behind her eyelids. Her grip tightened on his hand, crushing his fingers; as gently as possible, Bucky squeezed back, trying to let her know, at least in a small way, that he was here.