Leaving

{tw: homophobia}

All of the guests fell silent. Hayley and Taylor had already known that he wasn't straight, though they weren't totally aware that he identified strictly as gay. But even they, who already had said knowledge, were shocked that he was confident enough to announce his newfound personal discovery to this group.

"Let's eat," Taylor spoke, realizing how awkward the moment was. 

Nobody argued against Taylor's words. But that was because nobody knew what else to say about what they had all been told. Except for Hayley and Taylor, who had obviously known. Even though Josh had gotten a gay vibe from his little brother, considering the way Zac and Taylor acted with each other, it still came as a shock to him. And for him to confess it at a family event, regardless of the fact that it was his birthday, yeah, it came as even more of a surprise.

The conversations were forced. The older adults at the table weren't sure whether or not they should have talked about what they had just discovered. The party festivities were to continue following the awkward meal. But first, Zac's mother pulled him inside the house. Though Taylor began to push himself to his feet, wanting to join Zac in order to support him, the woman insisted he sit back down.

Zac joined his mother inside, a sense of pure confidence exuding from his stance and expression.

"What was all that about? Did you need to tell everyone?" she asked, eyes wide.

"I wanted to come out, that's what that was. It was easier to do it all at once than have to tell everyone separately," he retorted.

"Zachary, there is family here that you rarely even see. You wanted to tell them that you're gay? What if they judge you for this now?"

"You think I care if they judge me? Mom, I don't. Why should I? Why does it matter?"

"Because...we barely know them," she gulped.

"They're family. But so what? Shouldn't it mean even less if I barely know them? It's like they aren't even my family, considering how rarely we see them. Again, why does it matter?"

"Because, well, they'll judge you."

He raised his eyebrows and then rolled his eyes. "So what?" he repeated for what felt like the billionth time, though it was only the second time he'd said those words.

"Because it's wrong, Zac!" she raised her voice, realizing the mistake she had made by saying what she did immediately after saying it. Her lips parted slightly, and she gulped. Zac straightened his back, pursed his lips, and shook his head.

"I'm leaving," he said with a scoff. He went for the door, but Mrs. Farro stepped in front of it.

"No, please. I set this party up for you, after all. Don't go, not yet. I'm sorry. I didn't mean that, you know I'll love you regardless of who you love. Don't leave the party," she practically begged, but Zac had already made up his mind.

"Let me go, mom. We can talk about all of this tomorrow or something. Not tonight. I'm leaving." The message was clear. Though she wanted to continue her protesting, his mother stepped away from the door that led them into the backyard. Without a word, Zac stomped over to Taylor, grabbed his hand, and continued.

"Where are we going?" he asked, though he did not stop the birthday boy.

"Leaving. I don't need any of this right now."

"What happened?" he asked with a slight frown. Zac didn't explain immediately, but instead continued to lead the two of them down the driveway and into the street where Taylor's car had been parked earlier.

"Give me your keys," he demanded with his arm extended towards Taylor, palm flat.

He hurried to remove his hands from his pocket and placed the keys in Zac's hand. He unlocked the car and climbed into the driver's seat, even though Taylor hadn't said anything about giving him permission to do so. Not that he would protest. At least not in this instance.

Taylor joined him in the car, shutting the passenger door behind himself. Silence followed.

Zac's forehead rested against the steering wheel.

"What's wrong?" Taylor asked, reaching over to stroke the top of Zac's back, just below his neck. He raised his head, sniffled once, started the car, and drove forward.

"What's wrong?" Taylor repeated, needing an answer to calm his confusion.

"My mom, uh, she thinks it's wrong to be gay. To be like me. Us, I guess. I didn't want to stay there any longer. I'll talk to her tomorrow, it doesn't matter. And before you even say it, yes, I know that people are going to be upset that I left, considering they came for me. But I can't be there. I don't want to be there, T."

He wouldn't have even argued, wouldn't have even stated that the guests would be disappointed by his absence. Though he did feel that him being there was for the best, being as how family had come for him, seeing Zac in such a state made it clear that he couldn't be there. It would be worse for him to be there than for him to vanish from the party.

"Where are we going?" Taylor asked instead of starting an unnecessary argument. Aside from the fact that he didn't feel like furthering Zac's anger, he wanted Zac to like him. Like like him.

"I don't know. Where do you want to go?" Zac turned his head, foot easing down on the brake as they pulled to a red light. His clear expression of anger softened as he looked into Taylor's eyes that looked especially pretty in the light that shone into the car. He squinted due to the blinding light.

"I don't know. The beach, maybe? I like the beach," Taylor said with a shrug. Zac nodded his head and looked forward once again after the car behind theirs honked its horn. The light had turned green, so he drove forward and in the direction of one of the crappy beaches they had in the area.

Crappy beach or beautiful beach, the small details didn't matter. The two of them being together was much more important.