Chapter Twenty Four

CORY'S POV

As Kyleigh took home drunkie one and drunkie two, I started clearing out the party and getting everyone to go home, and picking up the trash. Rounding up the turkeys was particularly fun… our friend had also lent us a holding pen, and when Conner and I got one into it, another would run out. Eventually, after several games of rock, paper, scissors, and several flips of a coin, Conner got stuck standing in the pen and holding the turkeys in place while I rounded them up and got them to go in. 

My phone rang suddenly, so I looked at it- it was Kyleigh.

“Hey,” I answered.

“Hey,” she said, slowly. 

“What’s wrong?” I asked her. Her voice sounded… off… and strange. 

“I’m going to stay home, okay? For Thanksgiving,” she replied. I thought she was coming back over, though…

“Okay… why, though?”

“Well, you’ll never believe this… but, my mom just showed up with a giant roasted turkey, and she’s picked up some potato salad, stuffing, green bean casserole and corn on her way home… and she wants to have Thanksgiving dinner with me.” Oh, shit. Kyleigh’s barely seen her mother since they moved here… she was always at work, only at home to sleep for a few hours at night. 

“Wow, Kyleigh. Well, you have fun, okay?”

“Yeah… it’ll be kinda awkward, since I haven’t seen her much,” she said. I nodded to myself. I could only imagine how awkward that could be. 

“Well, call me or text me when y’all are done, or when you go to bed.”

“I will.”

“Bye, baby,” I said, using her favorite pet name.

“Bye,” she answered- I could hear the smile in her voice.

Well, there went my plans for the night, I thought as I hung up. I found Conner macking up on some brunette that he had apparently stashed in his room so I wouldn’t find her and make her go home.

“Conner.” He jumped at his name, and looked at me.

“Oh, hey, brother. What’s going on?” he asked with a crooked smile.

“Send your lay home. We’re having Thanksgiving with Dad,” I told him. His smile faded, and he looked at her apologetically.